ENGINE FLUSHING

Clark.N

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
My 2009 F250 does not pee when flushing. OK when running (just had water pump replaced). Problem noticed before water pump change when not peeing at all. Basically, has little to no peeing when on flush. I never noticed this before any comments. Planning to contect technician today, just wanted comments.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
How are you providing water to the pump when flushing. Are you using muffs, or a tub? If you are using muffs, then hose volume and pressure are important as is fitment of the muffs to the lower unit, of course. Also, before attaching the muffs, remove the plastic screen on the water inlet of the lower unit and the impeller will get more water. You should have lots of water coming out of the center of the prop and several small openings in the neighborhood of the impeller. Don't call for a mobile mechanic till you check those things. It's not rocket science. Save your money for fuel. :)

PS....Do NOT run the engine with the hose hooked only to the small hose connection mounted on the engine. That is for static flushing only per the Yamaha instruction manual.

Last edited:

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
My 2003 F225's sometimes have water flow through the tell tale, and sometimes they do not. This is using the hose port on the engines themselves. My guess is this is due to water pressure differences at the marina.

Reactions: wspitler

Clark.N

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
My 2003 F225's sometimes have water flow through the tell tale, and sometimes they do not. This is using the hose port on the engines themselves. My guess is this is due to water pressure differences at the marina.
This is my problem at my home dock. I do not know what my pressure is but I have plenty of flow. from a 5/8 hose. Trying to figure out if this is a problem and I am not properly flushing my engine.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
This is my problem at my home dock. I do not know what my pressure is but I have plenty of flow. from a 5/8 hose. Trying to figure out if this is a problem and I am not properly flushing my engine.
Maybe I misunderstand what you are trying do. Are you running your engine while flushing or doing a static flush using the hose connection on the engine?

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
My OX66 had similar problem. The problem was corrosion in the rectifier/regulator. It was the last chamber before the pee tube fitting on the cowling. It is bolted to the block and to keep cool has salt water running through it. Bad design in my view. Small bits of crud would occasionally block the pee tube. I would snake the hose with a piece of leader wire or sometimes blow air in the pee hole. This usually opened it up for a while, only to clog again. Discovered this when replacing the r/r.

Reactions: Halfhitch

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Clark, clarify how you are doing the flushing.

But if it's peeing good when in the water, I wouldn't worry about it. It doesn't have to pee to have good and proper cooling of the engine.

Reactions: kirk a

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I frequently have no-flow out of tell tale port in my driveway. My mechanic said this is common with ear muff's. He suggested a "Y" hose connected to muff's and the engine flush hose.

Works fine in the water. I keep a 2' piece of 300lb mono handy when I Spring launch. Sometimes the fuel cooler clogs up.

Reactions: Halfhitch

Clark.N

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
To answer several questions, I was static flushing with my garden hose from my irrigation pump. As I said with my engine running everything was fine. I decided to attach a hose from my city fresh water. This time I had water from the telltale when static flushing. As one person said the pressure makes a difference. I just wanted an opinion concerning if the irrigation pump was providing enough pressure to flush the engine after running in salt water. Info, water did dribble from the telltale when on the garden hose but seldom had a steady stream.

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions

seasick

Reaction score
It's more an issue of volume and not so much water pressure. Even if you have good flow at the faucet, the added hose will reduce the flow (and pressure). Using one of those expanding/contracting collapsible hoses will also reduce the flow. Sometimes 25 feet of hose works but 50 doesn't.
Yamaha does state that the motor should not be run on the flush port. I have seen may folks who do run on it as well as a few mechanics that I have seen running on the flush port and asked about the practice. They said it isn't a problem. It is important to note that quick connect couplings, especially the type that shut off the water flow when disconnected reduce the flow much more than the kind that are open with no automatic 'valve'