Engine Height on 208

ausway

Reaction score
Would anyone out there have 208 Adventure with Yamaha V6 F200hp to tell me on what hole is the engine bolted .
Mine is on a third hole from the top and I've got a feeling it may go one more (last one ) .

here is a short video [youtube]https://youtu.be/wVzgLbzfab4/youtube
https://youtu.be/wVzgLbzfab4

seasick

Reaction score
ausway said:
Would anyone out there have 208 Adventure with Yamaha V6 F200hp to tell me on what hole is the engine bolted .
Mine is on a third hole from the top and I've got a feeling it may go one more (last one ) .

Height can depend on hull year. The earlier 208s are lighter by about 200 lbs. The later years have ballast added up front to help balance the added weight of the 6 cyl 4 strokes.
Here is Grady's recommendations for motor mounting height

MOUNTING THE OUTBOARD MOTOR
WATER LEVEL GUIDELINE (4-STROKE ENGINES)
If you replaced 2-stroke engine to 4-stroke engine which has the same horse power, a boat tends to
become “stern heavy” because of heavier engine weight.
As a result, water line will rise and get close to the power head.
This effects a poor engine performance, and water could easily enter into the cylinder(s) and damage
the engine.
Therefore, you should consider the water level guideline to install 4-stroke outboard motor.
Under mooring of boat with a maximum boat load, maintain the minimum height (H) shown in the
illustration between the water surface and the clamp bracket seating point.
Minimum height between water surface and bracket seating point
Model Min. height (H)
Carbureted F2 – F60 150 mm 5.9 in
Fuel injected F40 (4-cyl) – F70 100 mm 3.9 in
F75 and above 100 mm 3.9 in

ausway

Reaction score
seasick said:
ausway said:

Height can depend on hull year. The earlier 208s are lighter by about 200 lbs. The later years have ballast added up front to help balance the added weight of the 6 cyl 4 strokes.

this one is 2006

ausway

Reaction score
is this ok ?

Attachments

• IMG_1847.JPG
    IMG_1847.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 911
  • IMG_1848.JPG
    IMG_1848.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 912

NCFreedom

Reaction score

here is a short video [youtube]

Ausway, I have read your postings about engine height. My anti-ventilation plate is buried when I am on plane, and it will only come out of the water at WOT and full trim up. My outboard will not ventilate the prop at full trim up, and it is currently mounted in the 2nd hole from the top. I was thinking of moving it up two holes to the very bottom hole, which should raise it 1.5 inches. I have attached pictures. Please let me know your thoughts?

Attachments

• EF260CC7-1FD8-4311-A286-329A9F3652CC.jpeg
    EF260CC7-1FD8-4311-A286-329A9F3652CC.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • A49A883A-8362-4369-84D7-1169D7C97F89.jpeg
    A49A883A-8362-4369-84D7-1169D7C97F89.jpeg
    936 KB · Views: 6
  • 349C4DF2-A65A-4D4B-A853-5ECFFCD9341F.jpeg
    349C4DF2-A65A-4D4B-A853-5ECFFCD9341F.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 6

seasick

Reaction score
What you describe doesn't sound right especially the part about not being able to create prop ventilation with the motor trimmed all the way up. What is the full motor model?
What year is the hull? Do the scuppers sit above the water line? When the motor is tilted all the way up at the dock, is the skeg completely out of the water?

seasick

Reaction score
If the hull originally had a 2 stroke, here is Yamaha's guidelines;

MOUNTING THE OUTBOARD MOTOR
WATER LEVEL GUIDELINE (4-STROKE ENGINES)
If you replaced 2-stroke engine to 4-stroke engine which has the same horse power, a boat tends to
become “stern heavy” because of heavier engine weight.
As a result, water line will rise and get close to the power head.
This effects a poor engine performance, and water could easily enter into the cylinder(s) and damage
the engine.
Therefore, you should consider the water level guideline to install 4-stroke outboard motor.
Under mooring of boat with a maximum boat load, maintain the minimum height (H) between the water surface and the clamp bracket seating point.
Minimum height between water surface and bracket seating point
Model Min. height (H)
Carbureted F2 – F60 150 mm 5.9 in
Fuel injected F40 (4-cyl) – F70 100 mm 3.9 in
F75 and above 100 mm 3.9 in

NCFreedom

Reaction score
What you describe doesn't sound right especially the part about not being able to create prop ventilation with the motor trimmed all the way up. What is the full motor model?
What year is the hull? Do the scuppers sit above the water line? When the motor is tilted all the way up at the dock, is the skeg completely out of the water?

seasick, here is my boat and engine model information.
2018 G-W Freedom 215
2017 Yamaha F250XB 4.2L Offshore

My boat and engine are fairly new, so the boat was designed for a Four Stroke outboard. I promise you my prop will not ventilate when I have the Trim all the way up at WOT speed. I am not talking about Tilt, which does bring the motor all the way up out of the water. When you are at speed on plane the Trim sensor will only let you trim the engine so high. When you come back to an idle the engine can be tilted all the way out of the water.

I know the four stroke specs say anti-cavitation plate level with the keel to 1” over the keel, but I have 5 group 31 batteries in my stern now, and she is heavy in the rear. The specs are good for the factory configuration, and they don’t account for extra weight added to the boat. I am making decisions upon what my boat is doing now when I am running it, and not how it was when it left the factory. The anti-cavitation plate is buried under the water when on plane without a lot of trim up applied, and it is sucking the stern of my boat down when on plane. This is why I am planning to raise my engine one or two holes up. If I can’t see the anti-cavitation plate when I have the motor trimmed half way up to all the way up on plane, then the engine is sitting to low in the water for my boat. This does not apply to everyone’s boat, as they will each be different based upon what the owner has on the boat weight wise.

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
Thanks for the data. Yes. I was referring to max trim, the point where the tilt ram tales over. Can you take the measurement that Yamaha specs for the motor? That is the distance from the bottom of the mounting bracket where it hangs on the transom to the water line. If you measure that while you are in the boat, your weight will skew the reading.A general rule of thumb is that the cav plate should be at about the level of the keel which yours may already be but the added weight can be a factor. I know it is a pain but I would suggest changing one hole height at a time. It would help to make the measurement I suggested and see where the motor sits and go from there. Let us know how it goes, I am very interested in your experimant.

NCFreedom

Reaction score
Thanks for the data. Yes. I was referring to max trim, the point where the tilt ram tales over. Can you take the measurement that Yamaha specs for the motor? That is the distance from the bottom of the mounting bracket where it hangs on the transom to the water line. If you measure that while you are in the boat, your weight will skew the reading.A general rule of thumb is that the cav plate should be at about the level of the keel which yours may already be but the added weight can be a factor. I know it is a pain but I would suggest changing one hole height at a time. It would help to make the measurement I suggested and see where the motor sits and go from there. Let us know how it goes, I am very interested in your experimant.

seasick, here is a post I made about my engine height journey.

seasick

Reaction score
Sorry, I am confused as to whose problem I am referring to. Somehow the issue changed form a 208 hull to a 215 Freedom:)