engine mounting height

Winged Pig

Reaction score
I purchased a 1998 Sailfish last summer and just took it out of the water. In doing the winterization to the motors I noticed that they (Yamaha OX66 225's) were mounted in the top hole, putting them at their lowest mounting position. I did not notice anything adverse while running the boat for several months, but honestly I didn't even check them while the boat was running so I don't know if the skeg is buried or not. The only thing I did notice was that the mpg and the top speed seemed to be just a tad low.

I did send Grady White a question but have not heard back from them yet. Anyone have any experience with this boat and these motors? Everything seemed to work great, but I can't help but think this is a little low for them, and I'm considering raising them one hole. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
:uhm As a rule of thumb, optimum position is where the plate above the props (some call it cavitation, the anal swear by ventilation) is just above water level when at cruising speed. Performance might be OK if you raise one hole past there, but probably won't be as good if lowered into the water ...

Winged Pig

Reaction score
I heard back from Grady White and they said that the optimum position for my boat and engines is the second hole, so I will be raising them prior to the boat going back into the water.

All I can say is that is some great customer service.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Dredging this up.
My engines are in the second hole from the top and my cave plates are still buried. Winged Pig, or any other 272 owner with OX66's can you see your cav plate when on plane? If so how many bars of trim are you using? This has been bothering me for ages and I read this article which says that cav plate even with the bottom of the boat is just a starting point.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
:uhm You sure Grady didn't say 'usually'? That's what they told me about 10 years ago when I asked ...