Engine Overheat Warning at Low RPM'S

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Was trolling 1100 rpm's for a half hour or so, and the warning horn came on. The tell-tale stream was strong and steady, so I knew the water pump was not in play. Also had plenty of oil in the reserve tank. I kicked up the rpms for just a few seconds, and, voila, the overheat warning horn quieted down almost immediately.

So, is it my poppet valve, or more likely to be thermostat-related?? And how often should these components be replaced?

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
My $$$'s on the poppet. My '97 SWS II did the EXACT same thing-but we did all the expensive trouble shooting first.

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
POPPET..Just clean it no need to replace it..

GT

Reaction score
I might have just been lucky but I had similar problem, but Ihad new water pump, good stream, and recently changed (spring) t-stats. Everyone pointed me toward the poppet, saying a grain of sand or salt will make it stick. One suggestion was to flush the motor with fresh water for 30 minutes ( I normally give it a 10-15 flush), and it worked. No more alarm problems.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Good point. The poppet usually "goes" after the water pump is changed but the poppet isn't.

Boats Rock

Reaction score
I had the same issue. Removed the poppets. They had a jelly like build up under them that stopped the flow. washed them out and flushed the ports. Ran all season with no problem. I include this as a winterization task when I shut the boat down.