Grady white 248
Yamaha ox66 250
Just got my prop refinished put it on no problem in the no wake zone
Get up to 28 mph and all of a sudden slips out and sounds a little crunchy
To me the engine sounds fine
Fair to assume lower end? Haha

seasick

Reaction score
Slips out of gear? Was the prop re-hubbed? Check prop for spun bushing or possible improper installation ( likecinstaaling rear thrust washer incorrectly or not at all)
Check shift cable and it's adjustment

Danistro

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Slips out of gear? Was the prop re-hubbed? Check prop for spun bushing or possible improper installation ( likecinstaaling rear thrust washer incorrectly or not at all)
Check shift cable and it's adjustment
Well the cable felt a little tight for a second but the concerning part was the grinding noise . Seemed like it slipped I did it wanna mess with it too much just got towed in

seasick

Reaction score
The grinding may have been the dog clutch not engaging completely. Did you try shifting into reverse?
The clutch not engaging can be causes by several issues: Bad cable adjustment, broken or stretched shift cable, lower unit shift lever issue, or sometimes, the hold downs for the shift cable at the motor, disconnect or break

Whatever it is, it is not obvious It could be a simple fix or a expensive repair.

Last edited:

Danistro

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
The grinding may have been the dog clutch not engaging completely. Did you try shifting into reverse?
The clutch not engaging can be causes by several issues: Bad cable adjustment, broken or stretched shift cable, lower unit shift lever issue, or sometimes, the hold downs for the shift cable at the motor, disconnect or break

Whatever it is, it is not obvious It could be a simple fix or a expensive repair.
Understood will check.
seemed like engine was running fine and it just sort of popped out and not of grinding noise that sort of sounded like the lower but I didint hit anything .

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Is it possible you've chipped a tooth or multiple teeth on your flywheel to where it's slipping? I admittedly don't know too much about outboard motors, though I've worked on classic cars for sometime, and the first thing that came to mind was possibly an issue with the flywheel teeth engaging or the flywheel itself being loose.