Engine repower

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hey guys,

now I really your help, I just repowered with twin Yamaha 225 four stroke and she sitting just on the water line.
Do you think a single 225 will get her on plane?
I am thinking the twin 225hp motors are slightly too heavy!
Any recommendations?

seasick

Reaction score
So what's the issue? Are the scuppers above the water line? If so and the hull is bottom painted, next time you paint raise the line an inch or two.

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
So what's the issue? Are the scuppers above the water line? If so and the hull is bottom painted, next time you paint raise the line an inch or two.
The scuppers are below and when i am running the engine bracket seems to flex a little even thou i had it re-enforced.

Are you saying i have nothing to worry about?

Fishtales

Reaction score
Pic will help along with year and model of boat. The newer engines are heavier than the equivalent hp two stroke engines and if the boat is older it was likely designed for the engines of the day.
You have some options. I'd ensure the cockpit scuppers are above the waterline for sure and make sure your internal lines between the deck drains and thru hulls are in good shape. Don't want a sinking event. You can shift some weight forward (batteries come to mind). You can install ball thru hulls and maybe check valves in the line itself to protect from water coming the wrong way.

Fishtales

Reaction score
If the scuppers are above the waterline at rest with a full load you are in good shape. While running there will be a natural draw to pull water out of the boat. Are you getting water in the boat?
The flexing is a wild card. You need to have someone look into that. What is the max rated hp on the hull? Are you exceeding it or are the motors just heavier. Year of boat?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What did you re-power from?? More information is needed about boat and what you're asking about. We're glad to help, but need more info.

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
What did you re-power from?? More information is needed about boat and what you're asking about. We're glad to help, but need more info.
Boat is a 1993 25’ sailfish designed for twin 200hp two stroke.

scuppers are under water at rest, I Re powered with 225hp four stroke which are 100lbs heavier each.

boat rated for 400hp.

do you think a single 225hp could get me on plane?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Boat is a 1993 25’ sailfish designed for twin 200hp two stroke.

scuppers are under water at rest, I Re powered with 225hp four stroke which are 100lbs heavier each.

boat rated for 400hp.

do you think a single 225hp could get me on plane?

No, a single F225 might not get you on plane. I have a single F225 on my 228 Seafarer and at times it struggles to get me on plane. You're a bigger boat than me. If you go single, I'd recommend at least the F300. Your boat was also built for lighter weight 2 strokes so the scuppers will be under water. Also an insurance issue being overpowered than it's rating. The weight of the four strokes are probably flexing the bracket, as again, this boat wasn't built for the four strokes.

If you could find some F200 I-4's, that would be a nice match and keep you in your HP rating, and a lighter weight then the F225's.