Engine woes...

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
If your engine has a VST, then there is a low pressure pump that provides fuel to the VST and inside the VST often is a high-pressure pump that provides fuel pressure to the fuel rail usually in the 40 psi range. Easy to check fuel delivery at the rail with a pressure gauge. Go back to basics, engine requires air fuel and spark that is all. VST filters are very fine and there’s also another LP filter and some models that can clog. But fuel rail pressure will tell you whether there is fuel getting to the injectors. Seasick is right though typically first sign of VST filter clog is loss of high end RPM.

Pfu

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
You mentioned you replaced both water separators. Pull the one for the engine that is not starting and validate is is filled with fuel. If it is not, fill it with fuel and re-install. Then try cranking the engine..
I replace all fuel lines. I removed separators when putting back together and checked for water which was basically non existent. I then fill up the separators with new gas and reinstalled as new as of last August.

Tytypie

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
My thoughts, there is a drain valve at the bottom of the VST. My Yamaha 250 VST would get full of water and I often had to crack this screw valve to drain the water out of the VST.
A quick test for to see if the problem is fuel getting to the cylinders: squirt just a bit of fuel into the intake manifold and see if it fires up for a sec.

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
I replace all fuel lines. I removed separators when putting back together and checked for water which was basically non existent. I then fill up the separators with new gas and reinstalled as new as of last August.
I hear you…But, if you did that ;last august and ran the engines dry last week then you should check to make sure the separators are primed. don’t be fooled by some gas in the fuel bowl. I still think there is crud in one of the filters but if the separator isn’t full the engine won’t run.

seasick

Reaction score
I hear you…But, if you did that ;last august and ran the engines dry last week then you should check to make sure the separators are primed. don’t be fooled by some gas in the fuel bowl. I still think there is crud in one of the filters but if the separator isn’t full the engine won’t run.
If the primer bulb gets firm, there is sufficient gas in the separator. The OP says the bulb gets firm.

Reactions: Ragged1

Pfu

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Update:
For those that are not aware Vermont is a small state and nowhere to be found were fuel filters. Depression set in and was waiting whether I purchase online or wait for the marina mechanic which was two weeks out. Reread all the info regarding the boat prior to my purchase and remember all the fuel related replacements from filters to VST. Opted to wait as has to be something simple and the expert will find it.

I went back and reread all the posts and decided to start over with only fuel related comments. Replace fuel lines - check. Borrowed small fuel tank to test fuel at the engine - check. Went to the boat with everything I could think of needing not already on the boat - check.

Removed the screw holding the screw cap on the first fuel filter. Poured out the fuel into a container (no water) and checked out the internals. Nothing glaring so put back together. Test one was to validate the squeeze bulb would push fuel to the see through filter which it did with no issues. Decided to turn the key to see what if anything would happen. Amazing it started right up and purred (why I didn’t do that earlier when told was beyond me except possibly needing new filters). Let it and the other engine run for twenty minutes with no issues. Decided it was time for a ride around the bay at different speeds with stop and goes plus power off/on. No issues and after a ride returned to the marina.

Not convince this was it. shut down, waited and restarted after chatting with fellow voters. No issues. Now tomorrow morning will be the next test. Note I am retaining my spot in line with the mechanic just in case.

Good news is I pulled up to another Grady White 272 Sailfish in the bay who was making its maiden voyage on Lake Champlain. Boat was from Massachusetts name Five O’clock. Had a starter issue first time attempting to launch and was replaced. Mention the forum as a great source of information.

In any case I owe all of you for guiding me through this depressing scenario. I could not have done it without you! Case closed?

Gmack76

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Update:
For those that are not aware Vermont is a small state and nowhere to be found were fuel filters. Depression set in and was waiting whether I purchase online or wait for the marina mechanic which was two weeks out. Reread all the info regarding the boat prior to my purchase and remember all the fuel related replacements from filters to VST. Opted to wait as has to be something simple and the expert will find it.

I went back and reread all the posts and decided to start over with only fuel related comments. Replace fuel lines - check. Borrowed small fuel tank to test fuel at the engine - check. Went to the boat with everything I could think of needing not already on the boat - check.

Removed the screw holding the screw cap on the first fuel filter. Poured out the fuel into a container (no water) and checked out the internals. Nothing glaring so put back together. Test one was to validate the squeeze bulb would push fuel to the see through filter which it did with no issues. Decided to turn the key to see what if anything would happen. Amazing it started right up and purred (why I didn’t do that earlier when told was beyond me except possibly needing new filters). Let it and the other engine run for twenty minutes with no issues. Decided it was time for a ride around the bay at different speeds with stop and goes plus power off/on. No issues and after a ride returned to the marina.

Not convince this was it. shut down, waited and restarted after chatting with fellow voters. No issues. Now tomorrow morning will be the next test. Note I am retaining my spot in line with the mechanic just in case.

Good news is I pulled up to another Grady White 272 Sailfish in the bay who was making its maiden voyage on Lake Champlain. Boat was from Massachusetts name Five O’clock. Had a starter issue first time attempting to launch and was replaced. Mention the forum as a great source of information.

In any case I owe all of you for guiding me through this depressing scenario. I could not have done it without you! Case closed?
Glad you got it figured out and thanks for pointing me to the forum. Signed, Five O’Clock.

Reactions: Pfu

Beyond A Wake

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
One of the first things to always check is not only the kill switch BUT ALSO THAT IT IS IN NEUTRAL. I don't know how many times I've heard of the motor being in gear and therefore not starting. Mechanic comes in moves the levers / shifters and voila, motor starts. Guess how stupid the owners look and feel.

Great it got fixed At low cost not counting hours and agony.

H