engine wont go down

cool change

Reaction score
Hi all. have a question, i HAVE A 1999 XO-66 YAMAHA 2 sroke out board. my motor will trim up but will not come down. It is making the sound like it wants to come down ,but nothing !! does that engine go up and down on hydraulics ?? any advice ?? thank u

Finest Kind

Reaction score
This may sound insulting, and I hope you don't take it that way, but are you sure the trailering support bracket is not out, holding the motor up?

fishbust

Reaction score
If it has failed, there is a big screw on the side that will release pressure & it will lower.

seasick

Reaction score
Dumb question first. How do you know it will go up if it doesn't go down:)

And yes, hopefully the safety lever (stop) is dissengaged..

The system is hydraulically operated. I am pretty sure that your tilt pump motor has a two wire connector. If 2 wires and not three, the pump works by reversing direction of rotation depending on the polarity of the leads.
When you say you hear it trying to work, are you hearing the actual pump running or just a click? There is relay that controls pump rotation direction and it can go bad for up or down. If it is bad, you won't hear the pump pumping. There are also check valves in the pump assembly and if they get stuck or leak, one of two things happens depending on how bad they leak of stick. You may not have the flow of fluid to pull the pistons in and lower the motor. You may not have enough flow to raise the motor. If the leak is not gigantic the tilt position may change over time (The motor will drop down from a raises position).

A few things, while pushing the down button ( and confirming that the pump is running) try pushing down on the motor. It may lower.
If not, try loosening the relief plug as mentioned and see if the motor drops.
Don't stand under it or have your fingers anywhere where they could get pinched if the motor suddenly drops.

Note that the leaks I mentioned are internal and are not visible on the outside.
And of course, check the fluid level in the reservoir. I don't think that is the problem but who knows.

cool change

Reaction score
LOL... yes the trailor piston are down... seasick- the motor will go down but only after you play with the button... also the levers that lock the motor from going down, i moved them up and down so i dont remember if they are suppossed to be up or down ,or in the middle .. were can i find the cannister that hold the hydralic fluid thanks guys

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
cool change said:
LOL... yes the trailor piston are down... seasick- the motor will go down but only after you play with the button... also the levers that lock the motor from going down, i moved them up and down so i dont remember if they are suppossed to be up or down ,or in the middle .. were can i find the cannister that hold the hydralic fluid thanks guys

From what you are saying here, the motor WILL go down, but not all the time? As mentioned, it doesn't sound like a hydraulic issue - it sounds like an electrical issue - possibly in the button or possibly the solenoid. Try using the button on the side of the cowling (assuming you have that - not sure which model engine you have) and see if it's more responsive, or the same as compared to the button at the helm. You can also try jumping the solenoid to help figure things out.

One more time... as it's still not clear... are you SURE the trailering support arm is out of the way? You mentioned "trailor piston", but am not sure what you mean by that - especially since you late mention "levers that lock" later on. If you're referring to the hydraulic pistons, there are three... (2) for "trim" when the engine is in the operating range and (1) for "tilt" to get the engine out of the water/for trailering.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I just replaced the relay (solenoid) on my F250 that had a similar problem. Mine would go down but not up. Identifying the problem is simple. As Dennis said, if the problem persists with both the switch on the engine and the one on the throttle, it is likely the relay. Check all of the connections for corrosion. If they are OK and you can get your hands on a shop manual, it will tell you how to test for continuity at the various posts on the relay.

In my case it was one of the contacts in the relay. I learned after replacing the part that the back can be removed giving you access to the contacts. I was able to clean them up and now I have a spare relay.

seasick

Reaction score
I guess I could have been clearer about what I meant when I asked if you can hear the pump working when you press the down switch. If you hear the pump running, the problem is most likely not electric. If you hear a click but no pump sounds, the problem is probably a relay or a connection. If ( not in your case) you hear a click only for both up and down, that could mean a bad pump or relay or connction

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Bad switches at the throttle or engine cowl are super common.

fellinger

Reaction score
When you say it sounds like it wants to go down do you mean the trim motor is making a noise or the solenoid is clicking. You likely have a solenoid for up and one for down. If you can access them you can switch their positions to rule out solenoid issue.