EPIRB battery replacement

Collector21

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Was wondering who you use to replace your batteries and what they charged for the service. Seems like the right time of year to get this done.
Thanks

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It would be my advice to not use a third party outfit to do that work. There should be contact info on the unit itself to lead you to the genuine refurbisher. If you have first hand knowledge of a third party outfit that is legitimate then that's fine but the fact that you have posed the question here then I would say "Better safe than sorry".

Fishtales

Reaction score
This is one of those things that bother the hell out of me. A plb cost about $230 on sale and they want $150 to do a battery swap. I opened the unit, it was standard lithium cells connected by Ni strips. Lucky I know a guy with a battery spot welder. I got the NI strips on Amazon and cells for about $6 at bulbs and batteries. Welded them up and all set.

The EPIRB is likely the same. Standard industrial cells that you can likely buy. You have to weld them though. They want like $200 to do the job. Sorry, but that is a screw job.

A lot of people are nervous as if you do this wrong, you can have a runaway. I asked the guy at batteries and bulbs why they don't do this. They are nervous and likely rightfully so as it would be difficult to control at so many locations. Still, this is a good business for them. I'd build a specialized box to do the unit in. Good business opportunity if you ask me.

dstarok

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I used
http://www.statesidecm.com/
I agree the price is crazy, but when I bought EPIRB, it came with a $150 rebate coupon to use when the battery needed to be changed. Their regular price is $299 plus shipping.
It was a quick turn around. Next time I’ll just buy a new one, and add the old one to the land fill.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
luckily I bought my EPIRB after ACR came out with the V4 which has a user replaceable battery. My ACR plb however will need to be sent in...

Fishtales

Reaction score
about time that they went to a user replaceable battery. good differentiator for the product line if you ask me. probably still priced crazy...

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I sent mine to BOE Marine (where I bought it), and he had the battery replaced (about 2 yrs ago). I think it was around $85 for the battery.

Fishtales

Reaction score
That is in the reasonable range...