EPIRB or PLB

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The Offshore Safety thread has made me think about my safety equipment. I take a few trips for tuna in my Offshore each summer. It is about a 40 mile run for me to find yellowfin from Breezy Point....but it is only 25 miles or so off the NJ shore. I watch the weather closely and carry 140 or so gallons of fuel. There are usually other boats around within VHF range. I carry a backup handheld VHF also but I am thinking about a modest EPIRB or PLB.
There are usually 3 guys in the boat on these trips. Is there any reason a PLB with GPS wouldn't be ok for me?
All opinions and ideas welcome. Thanks!

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
There is little difference between a PLB and an EPIRB except weight, duration of battery life while transmitting, and activation mode. Most PLBs last at least 24 hours transmitting, while EPIRBs are typically 48 hours or longer. If modern, they both transmit on 406MHZ and 121.5MHZ with the same minimum power requirements. Beware of the older analog ELTs, not the same. The GPS signal, if included helps us with quicker location. Highly recommended! A PLB is registered to an individual and an EPIRB to a boat. As long as it's registered and there are contacts in the file, the RCC can quickly determine if the alert is real or false. If you always carry the PLB in a location that is readily accessible or on your person, then the only real advantage to an EPIRB may be automatic activation and possibly a design that makes it float upright, providing a better antenna profile. The 121.5 MHZ is a lower power transmission mode designed primarily for CG aircraft to make final homing alignment.

Harrysea

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
If it’s an either/or decision, I highly recommend an EPIRB. It has a longer battery life, floats upright (a PLB will float, but not necessarily upright as it should to transmit effectively), and information about your boat will be known to rescuers that may be important. The price difference isn’t large. I consider a PLB to be secondary or supplemental to an EPIRB for offshore boating purposes.

Reactions: Uncle Joe

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I fish shorthanded and with inexperienced crew all the time. I have both.

The EPIRB is for the boat and is registered that way. Mounted just inside the cabin on port side accessible from the helm. The PLB is for me and is registered that way too. The PLB stays with me.

Buy the EPIRB first and if you think you will wear it buy a PLB. In an emergency its nice to know you have a backup.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I always went with PLBs because they were portable and cheaper than EPIRBs. But I recently realized that EPIRBs were actually cheaper. The battery on a PLB lasts for 5 years and they cost so much to replace that most people just buy a new unit. An EPIRB battery is good for 10 years. Comparing ACR products, a PLB goes for about $350 and an EPIRB is about $450. Do your own math. :)

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I went with both and got the kit for about 700 using the West Marine 15% off code on THT earlier this year. It came with the bag, which was bigger than I thought, PLB, EPIRB, and a bunch of other stuff that individually are probably overpriced (whistle/ mirror/etc).

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
EPIRB for the boat/ditch bag and PLB on person. Agree with Doc that the life cycle cost of an EPIRB is cheaper than a PLB due to the longer battery life and (sometimes) user replaceable batteries.

You can also use the PLB if you do other outdoor activities that take you away from civilization (backpacking/hunting/etc.).

Fishtales

Reaction score
i have a GPS EPIRB and think this is required as much as a fixed mount VHF. I carry a 2nd EPIRB (older), PLB and hand held VHF as backups.