EPIRB Placement

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I was just reading the thread on various EPIR and the pros and cons of each and was wondering for those that have them where do you have the ACR GlobalFIX V4 (EPIRB) Cat II Class 2 type EPIRBS mounted on your boats. There are many times per year I fish outside VHF ranges and should probably be investing one.

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I have 2 ditch bags with one in each. I want it with me.

I second keeping the EPIRB in a ditch bag; we always have one in the helm ready to grab. It also contains a handheld vhf, electronic flare, signaling mirror, whistle, and first aid kit.

Reactions: Legend

Fishtales

Reaction score
although after seeing that "when it goes bad" video, I was a little taken back. that guy had zero time to get his ditch bag...

Polapea

Reaction score
Ours is mounted inside the cabin door. I’d rather have it in arms reach so it can be activated as quickly as possible. I can activate it then get the ditch bag.

Do not get an auto deploy. Chances are the boat wouldn’t sink enough for the auto deploy feature to work so why pay for it?

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I keep my emergency equipment right inside the companion way. It can be retrieved and put in my ditch bag in 30 seconds or less. Keeping items stuffed in the bag all the time tends to lead to neglect. If we are heading out to blue water. I’ll have the ditch bag out where it can be grabbed quickly. I check the battery condition on the water proof hand held every couple trips. I also put new batteries in the flash lights and strobes every season. I also have an emergency battery mounted up in the hardtop for my AIS/GPS equipped VHF In case the main batteries go awash.CBD9E51C-E27B-4180-96A9-063C7FC6ED84.jpeg

Reactions: leeccoll

Tekgraphx

Reaction score
Model
Trophy Pro
Mine is mounted right in front of the companion seat and is the automatic type. Came with the boat when i bought it.