Erie to North Channel trip

Buffalo Btms

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Good Morning,

Long term I've been looking at all kinds of extended boat trips from Port Clinton OH area to places on Erie and other Great Lakes. It helps me get through the winter months.
Has anyone traveled from Erie to the North Channel on north shore of Lake Huron recently? Curious about things like duration, best paper charts & port info, time frame: June-July vs later in the fall, how to deal with multiple border crossing events, etc... Just getting started on the planning, and likely not until next year, but interested in perspectives from others that have.

Thanks

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Buffalo: I might be able to offer a bit of info, however I have not done the trip you are planning.

As far as crossing borders goes, the US has replaced the Small Vessel Reporting System with NEXUS (https://ttp.cbp.dhs.gov/). I just registered for NEXUS myself. I have read, but have not confirmed, that there is coordination between US and Canada with NEXUS.

In any case, I believe you still have to report to the nearest participating Canadian marina when you enter Canada. For a list of participating Canadian marinas see here: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/do-rb/services/trsm-sdtm-eng.html

Even with this reporting in place, you're technically supposed to make attempts to call Canadian Border Service (705-941-3063) upon crossing into Canada. The US requirement is less stringent, you're only required to proceed to the nearest participating marina.

Also, I have read somewhere, that a Canadian official may want to see a way to lock up the overboard discharge mechanism on your boat. Not an issue for me, so i didn't follow up on that.

I'm doing the Great Loop in segments and I plan to do Lakes Michigan and Huron this summer. I hope to get into the North Channel and Georgian Bay. I passed by your way when i did Lake Erie last summer. But a good south wind kept me close to the south shore as i made my way from west to east, so I didn't get to see the areas you ask about.

Good luck in your travels!

Rob