Ethanol....a way to stop it...maybe?

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Hey Yall:
I figured I would test this idea here because many of you are just great folks and treat people with goofy ideas nice. I spent about 15 years in the evironmental planning arena in Florida. I have had environmental law as grad student at FSU and studied environmental policy there as well. Here in America the "environmental community" has used the courts to pretty much stop development, stop energy exploration, stop boat ramps in Florida, stop every thing it seems. They sue and sue and sue some more.

I thought if I used Stabil or star tron and ring free that I could keep the ethanol problems at bay. Sure there is an extra expense, but the reality of it, we all have expenses from this government mandate on our boat motors, small engines on our lawn equipment, generators and perhaps our cars too. I read here about problems and I read about them on the THT forum. I hear my fellow boaters complain and toss up their hands. So I have been thinking and here is a goofy idea and perhaps somebody has already tried it...but what if we found a boater attorney willing to file a class action lawsuit against the EPA regarding ethanol in gasoline. What if we (meaning boaters everywhere) all chipped in $50 to said attorney to prosecute a legitimate case against the mandates and demonstrate in court the mandate is destroying private property to the tune of millions of dollars? A case like this would have to have solid expert testimonials, proof of ethanol destruction, solid actual dollar costs a year of damages. We could perhaps go as far as asking for a mandate ourselves for 90 octane recreation fuels like Marathon Gas has in the Fla Keys to be made available in areas with high boat use inland and coastal areas?

Under the US Constitution we have a right to property and by the actions of the federal government and their mandates they are infringing upon our property rights. Is it taking like in land use law case? Well maybe not, but they are mandating a fuel which if burned in our boats and left in our tanks will damage them. By doing so they are taking my money indirectly when it comes to buying additives and paying folks for expensive repairs. The irony of it ethanol takes more energy to create than it yeilds which means we are spending even more money on fuel because it takes a little more to yeild the same performance of nonethanol fuels. If we can make a huge collective case and file suit to create an injunction against ethanol in fuels, maybe it works? :hmm

I have one marina here on Lake Fontana with boat gas and honestly it is a seasonal marina and I am not sure I trust their fuel as it could have a ton of water in it. I have no gas stations near me with ethanol free fuels. Any attorneys out there think it possible? More importantly any attorney's out there think it is winnable?

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am not a lawyer and i don't know if we could win this but i'll be glad to chip in some $'s so we can get rid of that thing. To be honest though, i don't see it happening...... unfortunately.

uncljohn

Reaction score
But then its only a small leap to wanting leaded gasoline back and in reality, who wants the acid rain of central Europe in the 80s-90s?

And in a class action suit, we'll all sign on and get a one-time $20 payment in settlement and there will still be E-whatever in stations.

DB

Reaction score
It sounds like a good idea which means it will never work....we have many places to buy non-ethanol gas in Ocean City...that's all I use in my four boats...let it sit up for ten months untreated with air in the tank and see what you get...you get carb job. :bang

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The ethanol issue is the 500 lb. gorilla in the living room....it won't go away and there's not much we can do about it. The Obama administration just gave the OK to E15, up from E10....just to compound the problem. If anyone thinks this is about clean air, it is not ...it is about big payoffs to Con Agra and Archer Daniel Midlands, etc. for big campaign contributions given to the senators, congress persons and the president. It's a very simple game...when you want to know anything about anything, just follow the money trail.

Look at the commodities market listed in many newspapers and look at the price of corn...it has doubled recently.....and this is not the Green Giant corn that you get in a can.....corn for human consumption is about 2% of production...this is feeder corn for hogs and cattle which makes prices of meat and dairy products go up and up. More demand (corn for ethanol) means higher prices.

It is a big joke and the joke is on us. The biggest crooks in this scam are Sen. Harkin the Hack from Iowa and former Sen. Russ "the Milkman" Fiengold from Wisconsin...ethanol money for the corn farmers and price supports for the dairy farmers so no matter how high corn goes, the farmers are covered.

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
And the sad thing is there is nothing we can do about it. Government does what thay want and the public is either too niave or dumb to vote the crooks out. But it doesn't matter, the ones coming in are just as bad as the ones leaving.