Euro Transom to a Full Closed Transom w/ Bracket

knightgang

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Posted this on another board, and wondering what the comments over here would be.

Just curious, if anyone has ever fully closed a Euro Transom design and added a bracket to take advantage of more deck space in the original hull? Not concerned about a specific brand or Model, just wondering if it has happened and how the process went with building up the rear corners and raising the transom height.

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Anything is possible with time and money. I’ve seen it done on a few boats (non-Grady) here and you’ll definitely gain more space. Weight distribution and scupper location will have to be checked especially if you have a stepped hull or repowered with heavier engines. Also, moving the transom aft on a eurotransom will mean no molded exterior factory corners to work with so it might not look as seamless as enclosing a notched transom. Enclosing the transom on my boat is definitely in the cards; especially since the 228 went out of production.

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've seen a bracket added to a euro transom on a non-grady but the transom wan't raised. Imagine a massive swim platform, that's what the owner wanted for diving. Watch the latest Florida Sportsman Dream Boat episode (youtube) the owners of this marine company are about to do it. They are experts.

Holokai brings up good points. There is no doubt it would be much harder then just filling in a notched transom.

I love bracketed boats though. Will never go back. In our area Aluminnum fishing boats rule and they almost all have a bracket.

If you were going to start that project, why not look for an older grady hull with the notched transom, even a soft transom. Buy a project cheap then redo everything. PDR makes great brackets on the west coast, then there Armstrong on the east coast among many others.

PDR has a new bracket that the swim step adds floation at rest for stability but won't make it tippy like if too much floatation is added below the waterline.