Eventful Day

Lite Tackle

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Took the boat into the shop for the motor’s twenty hour service. Chose not to return to the local shop that installed motor for numerous reasons including the fast 1week turnaround and the estimate of five to seven hundred dollars. A small shop in Lodi (smaller farmish town) about 60 miles due east of me was recommended by a good friend.

Trip over was uneventful and the owner of the small shop (authorized Yamaha) was refreshingly a great guy. Shop was opened by his grandfather in 1921. Dropped off boat at 8:00 am and went and had breakfast and then over to the bait and tackle where I hung out and drank coffee and bs’ed with the owner for a hour or so (another great guy). Bought some misc items and headed over to get the truck washed.

Shop called at 12:00pm and said all set. Went back and paid the gentleman a whopping two hundred bucks. Needless to say, I was pleased. Oil change with filter, fuel filter change, gear oil change, gapped plugs, adjust and lube cables & fittings, compression test, pulled and reviewed log and test ran.

Heading home on the last stretch of the crappy two lane highway, trailer tire blows out. I’m able to just get out of the road onto the shoulder, if it could be called one. Luck would have it the shredded tire was on the highway side. I was able to used the Duramax jack and lug nut wrench but was a pita. Cars wizzing by not slowing or stopping to ask if help was needed, etc.

Three lessens learned.
  1. Don’t put off the inevitable (tires were beyond their expiration date, plan was to replace trailer in fall)
  2. Be prepared (added jack, wood block and lug wrench specific to tire change on trailer in tow vehicle)
  3. There’s a big difference between the people in the SF Bay Area and 60 miles to the east
I do know the GY Endurance is the tire of choice but I ordered a set of Maxxis M8008 tires for a great deal last night to get me through the year and will be replacing trailer at the end of the year.

Paul_A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
You are a brave man. There is no way I would have the nerve to change a tire under those conditions. Glad you made it home safely.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Glad you made it back safe. I have my original tires and wheels from my new trailer in the basement. I pulled it back from Tampa and then changed wheels and tires when I got home. Very please with the Endurance tires, nice to be able to run 65 psi in them instead of the normal psi of 50.

Lite Tackle

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Glad you made it back safe. I have my original tires and wheels from my new trailer in the basement. I pulled it back from Tampa and then changed wheels and tires when I got home. Very please with the Endurance tires, nice to be able to run 65 psi in them instead of the normal psi of 50.
I went with load rated “D” tires. They made for 65psi, single max load 2540lbs.

Reactions: leeccoll

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
$200 bucks? Wow.. I was told it would be a minimum of $350-$450 per engine to change the oil....

Twins.. so, yea, doing it myself.. heh

Glad you are safe and sound off the road!

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
CCR was a special combo of dudes; They were masterful songwriters; created great tunes and they instinctively knew what to leave out when they performed them. (That quality is less common than you may realize.) They crafted hit after hit and every song has stood the test of time.

It's a shame they wound up hating each other; They could fill arenas today, put on a 2 hr show loaded with Billboard top-tens, and keep everyone on their feet.

Incredible band...

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Now if I only had a dollar for every song I sung, every time I've had to play while people sat there drunk....

In 1987 (ironically same year as my hull) I played acoustic guitar and sang folk rock every Sunday afternoon at the Eagle Cafe in Pier 39, Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco. My roommate and I were the house band.

Loved CCR too, covered Bad Moon Rising every Sunday.

Last edited:

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
If this wasn't a boating forum, I'd compare notes with you on that subject. We could likely buy our next Grady's if we tallied up the tunes over X-number of years and X-number of bars...

Reactions: leeccoll