Everything I learned about bimini tops

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I learned here on GreatGrady :)

I've had a bimini top on my boat since day 1 in 1993 - Served me well ever since. I had to replace a tube I broke but other than that NP.
So I get this boat cover and realize I have to take this bimini down to use the cover. Well that means I need a quick way to drop the top and raise it when needed and the regular screwdriver thing ain't gonna do it for me.
Whammo, I learned here they make quick release deck hinges...well who would have thought. LOL . There are some really nice one. Push button release, there is a ball and socket type, quick release pins, thumb screws and there is the standard plastic, and similar in SS, and I'm sure many many more.
So the really nice ones that have a button to quick release are too big to mount where mine are (windshield frame) so can't use them. Ball and socket would mean replacing every connector..n/g there.

Mistake #1 - Guess I go with a pair of thumbscrews for the front two and quick release pin mounts for the others. So I order both.

Mistake #2 - Ok maybe just get the thumb screws and be done with it, that will work.
(Well kinda, you have to oversize drill the one ear of the existing plastic mount and tap the other ear for 1/4 -20 thread.) Not a big deal but could go this route. Still not satisfied, so......

Mistake #3 - Know what, maybe thumb screws for two and I'll get the quick pin release mounts for the others.These were Seachoice #75941. (Far left side of pic) The mounts are the same hole pattern so it should be easy. They look nifty, but after fumbling around with it for a few minutes I realize the lever you flip to remove the pin only goes one way, so to make it easy I dremel a "V" notch on one side. Yeah Im cool - so I think.
Another thing, the spring has a habit of launching itself as all springs do when removed under tension. So I tie a waxed twine to it to keep it from getting lost. WOW, I'm a genius! So this genius gets this all done only to find the gap between the ears is just a bit to tight to get the plastic ear in from the frame tubing side. :oops: :oops: Im hoping these will work with the SS ears for the tubing that go on the OD of the tubing rather than the ID of the tubing like the plastic ones. So of course I had to order a pair of them.

So now I start digging thru the parts I have laying around in the garage. I find another SS deck mount.Brand unknown. This one uses a SS screw, 1/4 -20 just like the thumbscrews. And the plastic ear from the bimini tubing fits snug (middle of pic) :cool: :cool:

Moral of the story - All is not what it seems to be, until you have it all in the palm of your hands.

Thats my story and Im sticking to it

Attachments

• Bimini_2MP.jpg
    Bimini_2MP.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 26

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Yup - lot's of options out there! FYI, the "spring" shouldn't self launch - maybe that was a glitch or a cheap version. All of the ones I've used (which is many!) have a "captured" spring so it doesn't come off. Thumb screws are OK, but they become a pain, too. They often seem to tighten up over time and half the time you end up having to get a set of pliers to remove them. Suggestion? Get the better spring-loaded quick-release with the lever and drill the bimini tube ear (or the deck fitting) hole bigger if need be to slide the pin through easily. FYI, the reason the lever should only flip in one direction is so it doesn't loosen up and pop out - sort of a secondary safety feature if the spring should fail. The lever (all of the ones I've used, anyways)... make sure it's pointing downward after you insert it (let gravity do it's job).

EDIT: Oh, you can also get SS leads for the spring style - they attach to the ring and then under one of the deck fitting screws so you never lose the pin.

Also... if you ever do get to upgrading all of them... skip the push button ones in favor of the ball-n-socket. The push button ones can still be a pain sometimes and more likely to get crudded up. Plus, the ball-n-socket are even easier to put the bimini up and down with one person.

Last edited:

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Yup - lot's of options out there! FYI, the "spring" shouldn't self launch - maybe that was a glitch or a cheap version. All of the ones I've used (which is many!) have a "captured" spring so it doesn't come off. Thumb screws are OK, but they become a pain, too. They often seem to tighten up over time and half the time you end up having to get a set of pliers to remove them. Suggestion? Get the better spring-loaded quick-release with the lever and drill the bimini tube ear (or the deck fitting) hole bigger if need be to slide the pin through easily. FYI, the reason the lever should only flip in one direction is so it doesn't loosen up and pop out - sort of a secondary safety feature if the spring should fail. The lever (all of the ones I've used, anyways)... make sure it's pointing downward after you insert it (let gravity do it's job).

EDIT: Oh, you can also get SS leads for the spring style - they attach to the ring and then under one of the deck fitting screws so you never lose the pin.

Also... if you ever do get to upgrading all of them... skip the push button ones in favor of the ball-n-socket. The push button ones can still be a pain sometimes and more likely to get crudded up. Plus, the ball-n-socket are even easier to put the bimini up and down with one person.

Do you know the brand that has a "captured" spring by any chance? Definitely gonna pass on the push button ones - I too though they would salt right up and be a PIA + the dimensions are too big for my needs.
Also, Its not the hole that's a problem, its the thickness of the ear itself. Doesn't fit in the notch of the Seachoice 75941 deck hinge quick release. I think I'm going to have to get the matching SS piece that goes on the tube O.D.
I have no problem eliminating the original 2 plastic ones on the rear vertical frame tubes, those that go in the I.D. They are 27 yrs old. LOL
Gonna use thumb screws on the front 2, and then try to find a match to the one SS deck hinge I found in the garage that the plastic ear on the tubing fits in nice and snug.(middle one in the pic). I will use thumb screws on those two also.
I'l see how it goes during the season

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
SeaDog has one - and I've personally used them. Good stuff, not expensive: https://sea-dog.com/groups/3242-toggle-pin-lanyard-straight

You know, looking at that pin again, I'm not sure how the spring is "captured"... but I can tell you that I have NEVER had a spring pop off on me.

27-year old plastic fittings? YES - change them out! UV deteriorates them - I can't believe they lasted THIS long! They usually break at the most inopportune times.