Evinrude OceanPro 200 Idle Adjustment help

dlevitt

Reaction score
I need to increase the idle on my '93 Evinrude 200 (carb). It idles around 500 in neutral and eventually stalls out. I was told that I should increase it to about 750 RPM in neutral and 600 RPM in gear. I have already checked for air leaks and that wasn't the problem. Also, when I increase the idle from the controls at the helm, she runs fine.

I'm not sure which adjustment screw to use, so I went to the boat this morning and took a picture. Is the idle adjustment screw A, B or C? Also, please confirm that to increase the idle speed, you need to turn the screw counter clockwise.

Thanks.
David

iD96527FC-B6A1-4797-BD95-52B28F4CD2B6.jpg

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
None of those screws are it, as I recall, from my 1992 200 HP Johnnies.
I think it' s on the other side, starboard side of motor.

And a point of advise, whatever you turn, track how many turns and in what direction so you can put it back later if no good comes of it.

There is a procedure for the adjustments, since one adjustment effects others.

Idle is adjusted by adjusting idle timing. Timing sspec is about 6 deg after TDC to get the right RPM. Check it with a timing lite to see what it is now at 500 rpm. To make it run faster you adjust timing to be more advanced as in going in the direction "before" TDC, so if too slow it may be 8 or 10 ATDC, so then adjust to get it to 6 ATDC, and if way off in RPM, something is wrong like an intake air leak. To get your 650 or so in forward gear underway, timing should be 6 ATDC plus or minus 2 deg, or so.

The step by step procedure is in the service manual, as I recall. It's been several years since doing it myself.

Over at THT.com, there is an outboard forum that covers OMCs, I think.

Good luck.

Seahunter

Reaction score
Not sure about a 1993 but on a 1997 "B" is the idle screw. A is the throttle arm stop screw and C is the timing advance screw

The idle should be set while in the water to 650 plus or minus 50 rpm. The timing should read 4 degrees plus or minus 2 degrees ATDC.

The out of water idle speed can very tremendously. Mine will run 1250-1400 rpm if run on a hose.

Tommyboy

Reaction score
200 Evinrude idle

I have the same motors, had the same issue ... there is an assembly on the front of the engine up by the flywheel ....I believe it's the ilde 'advance'? buy the the book, there is a really easy proceedure to follow .... ...... Idle should be around 600 when in gear .... BobP is right,
make sure you remember which screw you turn, how far and in which direction!!

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
IDLE

To piggyback on BobP's comments, TDC (top dead center) is critical.
I had a '93 Johnson 225 (same block as the 200 Evinrude i believe) and literally blew a rod through the side of the block b/c the TDC was off.
"Mike, it looks like a hand grenade went off under there". Never good news.

dlevitt

Reaction score
I tried to adjust the idle today with "B". I tried it 3-4 turns in either direction and there was no change in the idle. I decided to leave it the way it was for now. As always, it ran great when out on the water, but this low, rough idle with smoke has me concerned. It's not a violent shake but it's definately not smooth.

One of these days, I may just bring the boat back to my mechanic and have him take a look.

David

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
evinrude

Do you treat your fuel and have you had your carb cleaned?

dlevitt

Reaction score
I bought the boat last September and before putting it in the water, I had my mechanic clean and adjust the fuel system. At that time, he also installed a RACOR. I use Startron with every fill up, but haven't decarbed. Actually, on 1 tank last season ( I only filled up 3 times) I ran a pint of OMC Carbon guard.

I also installed new plugs this year. At first, I thought that the problem could have been old fuel. I filled the tank last November with Startron for the winter. I burned through the first 60 gallons of this fuel and refilled with fresh (95 gallon tank). It didn't help.

It's not enought of a problem to keep me from using the boat. I just need to make sure that I give it throttle after I start so that I don't stall.

Here's something else I noticed yesterday. When I hit the choke on the key, it stalls. Could I be running too rich? Also, I replaced the fuel priming ball to see if that helped. I noticed that after running, the ball isn't hard, but still has some fuel in it. Is it supposed to remain as hard as when you first prime it? It doesn't collapse at all though.

David

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
EVINRUDE

It sounds like you've addressed any potential fuel issues but it still sounds like a carb problem. Try a Gum-Out or CRC Carb cleaner.
As far as pushing the choke on the key, it's doing just what it's supposed to be doing. When you push the key, you're increasing the fuel/air ratio and the "stalling" is actually a brief flooding.

Tommyboy

Reaction score
200 Evinrude

David, the engine 'shaking' at idle or at low RPM is normal! I just had my 200's adjusted by my mechanic and they both shake like they are in detox at low RPM ..mechanic says 'they all do it' as long as it's not too excessive I would'nt worry about the shaking .... I would have a mechanic check it out .....

Tom

gw204

Reaction score
Definitely don't spray any type of carb cleaner in it. That stuff will dilute the gas/oil mix that lubes the crank/bearings/rods/etc. Not good...

CKJR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I had a 97 225 johnson, I believe that b adjustment controls the timing and that a adjusts the idle arm, c is the wide open stop. I would not start turning screws without proper knowledge, you can screw up the timing.

dlevitt

Reaction score
Thank you all. I went down to the boat today and decided that it may be just a bit more than an idle adjustment. I spoke with my mechanic and I will have him take a look. I'm pretty sure that it is something minor. However, I am smart enough to know that minor can become major if you don't know what you're doing.

I'll report back after I find out the problem.

thanks again.
David

dlevitt

Reaction score
Problem Solved

Problem solved. I had the mechanic look at the engine and it was taking much too much oil. It seems that the fuel/oil Pump went bad. I guess that too much oil is better than no oil...

Anyway, after replacing the pump as well as the fouled plugs and misc adjustments, I was on my way 2 hours later. She runs great and idles properly with very little smoke.

By the way, if anyone needs service on an Evinrude in Central NJ (Keyport), I highly recommend Seaboard Marine. If you go, tell them David Levitt sent you...

Thank you all for your help.

David