exhaust gas in telltale

Lenbythewater

Reaction score
I have a 4 horse Yamaha1994 4MLHS that came along as a kicker for my 208 Adventurer.
I was flushing it out this fall and noticed that the telltale was passing exhaust gas along with the water. This is while running at idle, with water supplied with ear muffs. Since the prop was not underwater, I was not able to run the motor at high rpm. The water pump was recently replaced.
My question is: is this normal to vent exhaust gas out of the telltale or do I have a head gasket problem. The Yamaha manual mentions diverting exhaust gas at low speed to other openings in some outboard models, but doesn't mention the telltale.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Are you sure it's exhaust vs. steam? Cold hose water thru a hot block may have an exhaust illusion.

Lenbythewater

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys, I will do a compression check this spring. It is exhaust gas in the telltale as it pulses with every firing of the motor. I sent an emal to Yamaha asking if this was a design feature of the 4hp motor but they never replyed. My 150 Yamaha and 9.9 Evenrude only expell water from the telltale, so the 4 hp behavior has me worried. If there is something wrong I would rather get it fixed now than during fishing season.

wilson

Reaction score
it would also be sucking water in if a head/gasketing problem is happening and your plug would be clean and wet. probably hard to start too. water (steam) will scrub carbon and the head will be shiny with little carbon build up.

Lenbythewater

Reaction score
Thanks, I have looked at the plug numerous times and it looks like a typical two cycle plug, so no steam cleaning is going on. You have convinced me the exhaust coming out of the telltale is probably normal for this engine. It would be nice to have had a reply from Yamaha on the subject, but the knowledge base (your replies) from this forum will suffice. I will provide an update after some usage of the motor this season.
Thanks again,

Len