Exhaust housing oil/lube streak

igblack87

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
Sorry for all the posting as of lately, one last question!!

Today after letting my engine run with the ear muffs on for 20 or so minutes, I noticed a stream or oil/lube running down the back of the exhaust housing. This is all above the cavitation plate and below the power head...I do not have any lower unit lube coming out of the screws or prop. While looking over the engine, I dont see anything that would indicate an oil leak.

Could this be excess fogging oil from the winter that just never burnt off? It is not coming out of the "general exhaust" outlets. Could it be excess lower unit lube? While running my engine today, no alarms or buzzers were going off and the idle seemed to be better after letting the engine run for some time.

I have attached a couple pictures for reference - slow drip seems to collect right below that little eye hook.

Thanks again for your knowledge!
Ian

Attachments

• IMG_1830 (2).JPG
    IMG_1830 (2).JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 1,031

igblack87

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
Ooops, should have included that. It is a Yamaha 130 (TXRZ) 2 Stroke, 2001. Here is another photo that might help a little more.

You can see that there is a little collection on the top of the cavitation plate. it drips down from inside the cowling/exhaust housing.

Ian

Attachments

• Oil drip.jpeg
    Oil drip.jpeg
    26.4 KB · Views: 962

Grady Again

Reaction score
I had similar oil residue on the bottom of the cavitation plate on my 115 sws after winter storage. I store it in the down position during the winter season. I found that a small amount of oil leaked around the O ring on power tilt rod and ran down the housing. I did not use fogging oil and oil was detected above the lower unit drain and fills.

seasick

Reaction score
igblack87 said:
Ooops, should have included that. It is a Yamaha 130 (TXRZ) 2 Stroke, 2001. Here is another photo that might help a little more.

You can see that there is a little collection on the top of the cavitation plate. it drips down from inside the cowling/exhaust housing.

Ian

Often, when those 2S models are tilted up, oil may leak out of the top of the motor mounter oil tank. The seal on the oil level sensor cap doesn't always seal completely especially as it ages and depending on how full the tank was, oil can leak. When it leaks it pools in the bottom of the cowling and stays there until the motor is tilted down when it leaks out of the cowling and down the exhaust housing or leaks into the motor well. Try cleaning the cap seal, resetting it and also some folks put a tie wrap around it to help seal. If possible don't waste your money on a new sensor unless really needed. It is expensive and the tank may still leak.
As mentioned, it could be tilt oil but that should be easy to see.