Exhaust inspection

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Those numbers sound very optimistic. For 2500, I’d have mine done even if they passed just so I could sleep at night. I know 2500 is a good chunk but compared to the dry assbanging we all take with these boats, it’s a drop in the bucket.
I mean... I'm just going off what the tech in the service department told me and I do know that when the replacement kits were in stock that they would sell for around $600-$750 or so. That $2,500 subtracted from $600-$750 would be between $1,750-$,1900 remaining, of which I just looked at Jacobsen's website and it appears they charge $175/hr for labor. Which would make for roughly 10-11 hours of labor to get to that $2,500 figure? Aka, that seems quite reasonable to me, even maybe a bit on the longer side? I watched a couple of videos of the process on YouTube and with the exception of, I believe a few tools and a press that I don't have, it looked like something that I could've done myself, if I actually needed to and if the kits were in stock. Fortunately it's something at this point that I don't need to worry about, though that could obviously change in the future, knock on wood. But I've done a few different engine swaps on my mustang before by myself as well as a multitude of other things and with the exception of the tools mentioned above, the rest sounds quite doable. $5k imo is rather absurd because even if the kits were say $1k per motor and the guy is charging $200/hr for labor, that's 20 hours of labor to do the swap. For the life of me, I can't imagine it would take a certified Yamaha tech anywhere near 20 hours to do something like that.

Automated14

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I mean... I'm just going off what the tech in the service department told me and I do know that when the replacement kits were in stock that they would sell for around $600-$750 or so. That $2,500 subtracted from $600-$750 would be between $1,750-$,1900 remaining, of which I just looked at Jacobsen's website and it appears they charge $175/hr for labor. Which would make for roughly 10-11 hours of labor to get to that $2,500 figure? Aka, that seems quite reasonable to me, even maybe a bit on the longer side? I watched a couple of videos of the process on YouTube and with the exception of, I believe a few tools and a press that I don't have, it looked like something that I could've done myself, if I actually needed to and if the kits were in stock. Fortunately it's something at this point that I don't need to worry about, though that could obviously change in the future, knock on wood. But I've done a few different engine swaps on my mustang before by myself as well as a multitude of other things and with the exception of the tools mentioned above, the rest sounds quite doable. $5k imo is rather absurd because even if the kits were say $1k per motor and the guy is charging $200/hr for labor, that's 20 hours of labor to do the swap. For the life of me, I can't imagine it would take a certified Yamaha tech anywhere near 20 hours to do something like that.
I get it you can only go off what they tell you. I've seen youtube videos and threads on other forums where DIY guys drinking beers can do an exhaust in a weekend, so One day for a real tech is reasonable. I agree with you on that.

...And it appears i spoke too soon. I found my invoice from 10/8/19. It was NOT 12K. It was $9600.00. $7000.00 of that was for mid section replacement on 2 engines. the other 2600 was to address other issues...as I had them check and replace every possible thing they could while the powerheads were off because of buy once cry once ....

so... I would have paid $3500 each if I had decided to do the bare minimum. sorry about that. I had 5 grand each in my head. Next time I check the records first.

This was 4 years ago... I still think $2500 is light- or at least it's just a starting point because even if the block and oil pan are ok, this job is a classic "while we are in there...." scenario.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I get it you can only go off what they tell you. I've seen youtube videos and threads on other forums where DIY guys drinking beers can do an exhaust in a weekend, so One day for a real tech is reasonable. I agree with you on that.

...And it appears i spoke too soon. I found my invoice from 10/8/19. It was NOT 12K. It was $9600.00. $7000.00 of that was for mid section replacement on 2 engines. the other 2600 was to address other issues...as I had them check and replace every possible thing they could while the powerheads were off because of buy once cry once ....

so... I would have paid $3500 each if I had decided to do the bare minimum. sorry about that. I had 5 grand each in my head. Next time I check the records first.

This was 4 years ago... I still think $2500 is light- or at least it's just a starting point because even if the block and oil pan are ok, this job is a classic "while we are in there...." scenario.
No need to apologize, but yes I do agree on the fact that you should also check everything else in there while you're at that point because as you mentioned and as I've always been taught... do it once and do it right. Also as I mentioned above, this was in October of 2021, so like everything else over the last couple of years I have to imagine those prices have probably gone up some. Fortunately I've not had to contact them again as the F225 on my boat is still running strong, knock on wood, but their prices may well have gone up some during that time.