Explorer 24 ( 1992) Fuel Tank

shoebob

Reaction score
Still running with my original 96 gal. fuel tank.. Opinions on pro-actively replacing it or rolling the dice and going a few more years..

Any else still running with original tank?? If I pull the deck hatch, is a visual inspection worth doing?? Anything in particular to look for ?

Thanks in advance for input..

Bob

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I have an original on my '93. I'm going larger and sliding it forward into the aux space. It's not a bad idea to just get it done. "Cleaning" the outside of the tank just gives a false sense of security IMO.

Reactions: PointedRose

DogBone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I would at a minimum pull the hatch over the tank and inspect it. I pulled my 1993 tank last summer and it had more corrosion on the top than the bottom. The corrosion on the top was happening mostly where the top braces touched the tank, so you may need to remove the braces to see. There were actual holes that had corroded through, some as big as a pencil diameter.

Reactions: PointedRose

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Typical life of a fuel tank is 20 years so you’re into overtime. I’d consider addressing sooner than later, can pull the hatch for visual and also if there’s a whiff of any leakage. Poly tank might be an option instead of aluminum going forward.