Express 265/305 v. Marlin 300 v. Chesapeake 290

vinoaddict

Reaction score
I considering buying a Grady -- I have narrowed my choices to the following: (1) Express 265; (2) Express 305; (3) Marlin 300; or (4) Chesapeake 290. I am interested in used, preferably a boat still under warranty. I know this is a broad topic, but I would be interested to know from current owners their opinions of these boats, both the pros and cons. Thanks.

Hoghunter

Reaction score
Don't know much about the 265 Express or the Chesapeake. Have owned the 30' Marlin and presently own the 305 Express. So I can give an opinion on those models.

The hull is the same and the ride was the same to me for both boats. Marlin pros for me were the cockpit is about 12 square feet larger than the Express, you have a walk around. Cons of the Marlin for me and the first one was huge, no easy access to the generator compartment (every time you needed to do anything in there which was frequent you had to remove screws and caulk), smaller cabin area due to the walk around and less helm seating.

Express pros for me are larger cabin area and bathroom, nice clean access to the generator compartment, taller front window which eliminated me looking through the top of it, electronics compartment, center helm with great visibility and better helm seating and larger fish box. My family and friends really like the seating arrangement much better than on my Marlin. The biggest con for me on the Express is the center helm and captains seat does make for tight access to the cabin etc. However, I've learned to turn the seat and things work fine. I also miss the extra 12 square feet of cockpit space.

I really liked both boats and frankly would have probably never sold the Marlin if it wasn't for the generator access and poor to me helm seating.They're both great boats. You just need to decide what features will make you the most happy. Good luck in your decision.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
no real help from me, but i wonder why you include the 265. very different than the other three (which are all kind of in spitting distance from each other). ron

georgemjr

Reaction score
It'll be hard to find a 265 under warranty since they haven't made them for quite some time. It'll be hard to find a used Chesapeake, since on we (on this forum) have only heard of 1 owner. It might be possible to find a new leftover for a good deal, as the Chesapeakes have not moved too quickly. Go to a dealer and crawl around, you'll end up konwing which you like the most.