Express 305 Cabin head room?

JoeChatham

Reaction score
Hello,

I am moving up from my 1998 Seafarer to a 30 footer. Was originally looking at the Marlin 300 from 2004 and up. Now very serious about a 2007 Express 305. I have been on a Marlin and head room was fine, but not on an Express yet. I am 6' 4" and just read a review that mentioned the head room in the cabin of the Express 305 is only 6' 3". Can anyone confirm? My wife and I like the idea of more seating at the helm and the interior cabin design better than the Marlin. We are more cruisers and are scuba divers and thought the Express was a better choice. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated I checked on the specs available from Grady and nothing is listed that I could find that details cabin headroom.

Thank you

Hoghunter

Reaction score
Hey Joe, I will go measure the cabin headroom on my 305 today. I really doubt that it's 6'4".

I owned a Marlin and then purchased the 305 Express 4 years ago. When I bought the Express I did it for some of the same reasons you mentioned. I liked the inside cabin design better and like the additional seating in the helm area. I have come to hate the helm seating arrangement. And the primary reason I hate it is that the center captains chair makes it very difficult to access seating on either side especially the starboard side. You either have to be a child or you're constantly moving the captains seat to get about on either side. When doing any kind of work on the boat I have to remove the seat or I would go nuts. If I could have my Marlin back I would do it in a heartbeat.

Hoghunter

Reaction score
Measured and it was 6'2". I'm 5'10" and the roof is only a few inches above my head. I would think you would be walking head bowed to move around.

Fishtales

Reaction score
The center helm should go away on the 305 and maybe even in 330 in my humble opinion. Both remind me of the 282 sailfish configuration I lived with in the past - waay too tight.
The 290 is better especially with the companion seat option.

Both would be much more attractive to me with a helm configuration like the Marlin. Time for a change?

JoeChatham

Reaction score
Thanks for all your input. I was able to get on both a Marlin and an Express and we weigh the pro's and con's and we are going with the Marlin. There is better headroom and storage in the Marlin, along with the saftey of the recessed walkaround are all big plusses. We also like the bigger cockpit on the Marlin.