Express 330 Rub Rail

Fido

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am based in Australia and about to start a refit on a 2002 330 Express.
We previously had a 2007 Marlin and I preferred the rub rail with screwed chrome insert that it had.

Would anyone know the supplier and part number of that product?
If no luck I will go to Grady direct.

Thanks for any advice.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Grady can probably give you the manufacturer pretty quickly. I don't know who Grady used for the stainless steel insert, but Barbour Plastics and Taco Marine are two very big players in this. If you have a few minutes, take a look at their websites and see if something matches up. Maybe someone else can give you something more specific, but in the meantime maybe that would work. In the end, though, the SS insert is pretty easy to source - the downside is shipping since they come in long lengths and would need to be cut down. I would imagine (and hope, for cost sake) that you can source that locally.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Following, my 2007 330 has Grady blue rub rail. Looked at those websites sometime ago we could not find an exact match for the rub rail itself. Stainless inserts are pretty standard. Color and size was my issue.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
What you might to do, in the end, is pull off a section of the blue part (the part actually secured to the boat). Measure the "over hang" (the part where the deck fits over the hull like a shoebox lid). Measure the flat/vertical section of the deck. With these measurements, go to those websites and look for a rubrail that accepts the SS insert and also that matches up with the measurements you took. It's more straight forward than I'm probably making it sound.

Fido

Reaction score
Thanks everybody for your replies.
It’s not the original Grady rub rail but I am considering the Taco Suproflex V11-9990 - doesn’t have a screw in middle insert but will be easier to ship to Australia.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Vinyl inserts like that are super easy to install - a rubber mallet (sometimes just your hand) is all you need. Just know that they do get damaged easily and you can't buff out a scratch like you can with a SS insert. If you damage it enough to where you want/need to replace the vinyl insert, you have to replace the whole thing. With a SS insert, you can replace just a short section.

I'm not trying to sway you away from the SS - just offering info so you know what you're getting into. But, yes, a rolled up vinyl insert would be a heck of a lot cheaper to send to Australia. There's gotta be shops around that carry it, though?

rprieser

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Agree with the replies above. Here in the States it's Taco Marine.

Fido

Reaction score
Vinyl inserts like that are super easy to install - a rubber mallet (sometimes just your hand) is all you need. Just know that they do get damaged easily and you can't buff out a scratch like you can with a SS insert. If you damage it enough to where you want/need to replace the vinyl insert, you have to replace the whole thing. With a SS insert, you can replace just a short section.

I'm not trying to sway you away from the SS - just offering info so you know what you're getting into. But, yes, a rolled up vinyl insert would be a heck of a lot cheaper to send to Australia. There's gotta be shops around that carry it, though?
You would be surprised unfortunately to know that a lot of products that are main stream in the States are difficult to get a hold of in Aus.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
You would be surprised unfortunately to know that a lot of products that are main stream in the States are difficult to get a hold of in Aus.
I have a few acquaintances, over the years, from down under and I do realize your point. The SS rubrail, though, does surprise me. I'm making an assumption here, of course, but there has to boats currently using the SS insert in Aus? If so, one would think that shops would carry replacement pieces? I'm not doubting you - just curious.

Last edited:

fsc60

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I upgraded mine to the one with the stainless insert. Taco is the supplier for Grady. But they will not sell it to you in blue only black. The blue one has to come from Grady. I think I spent $1500 for the kit. It will come pre-molded to fit the transom and up the sides. Which are not going to fit and require heat and bending. The rest will be straight lengths. Very difficult job. I spent a ton of time doing this. First thing is fill all the old holes with West Marines 610. All the rubber gets screwed on first then the stainless. Drilling the correct size hole for the screws is very important. The stainless screws will snap if the hole is to small. You will also need the new stainless end cap. Good luck.