Express 330 with 300s?

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I'm looking at a 2017 Express 330, the ad says 350s but the dealer says 300s. Two questions:

2017/2018 did Grady offer 350s?
If they are 300s, is an express 330 going to be a dog with those?

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I'm looking at a 2017 Express 330, the ad says 350s but the dealer says 300s. Two questions:

2017/2018 did Grady offer 350s?
If they are 300s, is an express 330 going to be a dog with those?
I have a 2007 330 with new F 300s on it and originally had 250s the 300 moves it as fast as I want to go. Check the performance bulletins at Grady and you’ll see detail of that boat with 300s. That boat is over 7 tons so it is not a speedster.

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I have a 2007 330 with new F 300s on it and originally had 250s the 300 moves it as fast as I want to go. Check the performance bulletins at Grady and you’ll see detail of that boat with 300s. That boat is over 7 tons so it is not a speedster.
How is the hole shot in lumpy conditions? I'm guessing you need a lot of trim tab to pop up?

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
This boat does not “pop up.” I typically use three-quarter tabs until it starts planing and then back them off to about a quarter depending on the sea state following seas no tabs more trim. A boat this heavy the hole shot is not really a useful term. I am currently using 17 pitch props as opposed to Grady‘s 15 inch standard. That is what I had on my 250s. Gear ratio on the 300s is different than the 3.3l 250. I think if I slam the throttles Forward from a dead stop it might cavitate or ventilate. I never do that. I never did that with my old 250s either. Not a good way to run a boat and is asking for a Spun hub. This boat is a tank and with the somewhat rounded bottom the trim tabs are very useful in many conditions.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I think lumpy conditions make it easier to get a heavy boat like that on plane. Once you bounce over that first lump or two, you tend to stay on top rather than settling back in the water.

Reactions: SkunkBoat

Time Bandit

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have a 2002 330. Repowered w 2014 yamaha 300s. Runs very well, very fast hole shot. Must tell passengers to hold on. Only time I use trim tabs is when the Wind is on the side, or when passengers aren’t balanced. I trim in on take off, then throttle back to around 4200. Then I trim up , usually 4 bars. 30 MPH 1-1.3 MPG. Rides very well ans soft. I own a slip in Naples and two in Marathon. I have done numerous trips between. All kinds of conditions. I used to own a 40 foot Luhrs sport fisherman w twin 420 Yanmar. I am impressed w the Grady. I feel the same confidence and ride. W the Luhrs you used trim tabs all the time. Not the Grady , you want to trim up/or out W the engines. Use the fuel tanks and gear to trim the boat, you don’t want trim tab. They are like a sea anchor.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Per the Grady White website it says the maximum horsepower for the 2017-2018 GW 330 Express is 700hp, so I'd have to assume that 350's were definitely an option back then. They still offer the 330 Express with twin 300's or even twin 425's, just depends on how fast you want to go and how much you want to spend. The 330 Express with twin 425's tops out at just over 53mph but burns almost 80gph to obtain that, which is a lot of fuel. Comparatively, twin 300's on a 330 Express you'll top out at 45mph but only be burning 51gph at top speed, or almost exactly 30gph less. Both setups have around the same "optimum cruise" speed and rpm of 29.9mph @ 4,200rpm for the twin 300's and 30.6mph @ 3,800rpm for the twin 425's. I personally am more than content at a maximum speed of 45mph and definitely don't need to be doing 53mph on the water, and especially on that size of a boat. Fuel costs would be through the roof and I'd be worried about being able to stop in the event of an emergency or obstruction. Just my 2c of course.

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
When the 425s were offered as an option, the transom was modified to add strength due to the weight and thrust of the motors. I don't know what year that change was made but it shouldn't be hard to determine I suppose.

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
The 300’s are plenty - depending on how YOU will use the boat. I had a 2003 330 - with 225’s. Ask anyone who has NEVER owned the boat and they’ll tell you it was underpowered. For some that could be true. However, I am an experienced boater in most all conditions, ran that boat well offshore many times in various weather, cruised it, etc. and it was fine for a 33’ express boat. I never did SKA type tournaments - but I did plenty of shark tournaments - so overall speed wasn’t the issue. With the 225’s she planed, cruised, handled just fine. I cruised around 29 MPH at 4400 IIRC. My buddy ended up getting an 06 with 250’s. Performed IDENTICALLY except for top speed. He loved that boat and used it as I used mine. By the way, mine had no thruster - some will say it is necessary - nope…nice to have yes, necessary - I never had an issue. The 300’s will push that boat just fine unless you want a fast boat that cruises in the 40’s…..Then it won’t be enough for you. It’s all how YOU use your boat but twin 225’s never put me in a situation where I wanted/needed more power. It’s all relative….In 5 years when 600 HP outboards are the norm people will say twin 425s are too slow……..

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer

TUNAHUNTER197

Reaction score
Do some research on those 350's.....make sure you have a dealer close by that has new flywheels in stock as you'll be there constantly, by far one of the most unreliable engine on the market.....300's are the most bulletproof engine on the market today and a perfect match for the 330. The only known issue is they make oil if you don't set the rings correctly during your break-in period....meaning don't baby the engines during that period.

If you really think your end game is to drive a boat with your feet kicked up on the dash in the slop you should start looking at large inboard diesels or a 37 Freeman both around $1-$2m to build.

BRO-CAL

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
@luckydude do you have a link to the listing you can share? I'm trying to figure out if an Express 330 would be a good next step for my family as well. Also looking at the Express 360/370 as well as some of the larger Boston Whaler Conquest models. All of those are going to burn a LOT more fuel than our little Seafarers ;-)

loubeer

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
The 300’s are plenty - depending on how YOU will use the boat. I had a 2003 330 - with 225’s. Ask anyone who has NEVER owned the boat and they’ll tell you it was underpowered. For some that could be true. However, I am an experienced boater in most all conditions, ran that boat well offshore many times in various weather, cruised it, etc. and it was fine for a 33’ express boat. I never did SKA type tournaments - but I did plenty of shark tournaments - so overall speed wasn’t the issue. With the 225’s she planed, cruised, handled just fine. I cruised around 29 MPH at 4400 IIRC. My buddy ended up getting an 06 with 250’s. Performed IDENTICALLY except for top speed. He loved that boat and used it as I used mine. By the way, mine had no thruster - some will say it is necessary - nope…nice to have yes, necessary - I never had an issue. The 300’s will push that boat just fine unless you want a fast boat that cruises in the 40’s…..Then it won’t be enough for you. It’s all how YOU use your boat but twin 225’s never put me in a situation where I wanted/needed more power. It’s all relative….In 5 years when 600 HP outboards are the norm people will say twin 425s are too slow……..
I have a 2003. Used the 225's just as you described - I was very satisfied. I just re-powered to 4.2 L 250's - I'm a little more satisfied.

Reactions: kirk a

Time Bandit

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
@luckydude do you have a link to the listing you can share? I'm trying to figure out if an Express 330 would be a good next step for my family as well. Also looking at the Express 360/370 as well as some of the larger Boston Whaler Conquest models. All of those are going to burn a LOT more fuel than our little Seafarers ;-)
On the Boat trader app, in Naples,Fl 36 express for sale 2008 for 229,000. Beautiful looking boat.
gulf shore Marina
2072 Davis Blvd.
Naples, Fl. 34104

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
PS: if they are 2017 350’s they are series “C” which makes them a LOT better that the earlier versions. Series “C” started with the 2016 model year (I think). They are still going to require the flywheel swap (On Yamaha’s dime) but other than that the “C” series have been pretty good engines (Still Not Yamaha’s best effort). I’d actually prefer the boat with the 300’s but if you can validate that they are “C” series motors I wouldn’t be overly concerned. Lot’s of guys with “C” series 350’s are very happy with them.

seasick

Reaction score
PS: if they are 2017 350’s they are series “C” which makes them a LOT better that the earlier versions. Series “C” started with the 2016 model year (I think). They are still going to require the flywheel swap (On Yamaha’s dime) but other than that the “C” series have been pretty good engines (Still Not Yamaha’s best effort). I’d actually prefer the boat with the 300’s but if you can validate that they are “C” series motors I wouldn’t be overly concerned. Lot’s of guys with “C” series 350’s are very happy with them.
How do you know what version a F350 is? Does the serial number range tell you?

BirdRock

Reaction score
i believe they do but you can always call Yamaha directly with the serial number and verify. I’d do this anyway to get their feedback on engine history and warranty claims (if any).

BirdRock

Reaction score
I mentioned this in another thread you started. There is a 2005 in Long Beach for sale. It’s 90 miles away. You’re crazy not to drive up there and check it out if you’re serious about buying one. You won’t find many in So cal for sale but you can go inspect one personally which I’d suggest if you are a serious buyer.

Reactions: ItalianAngler

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
When I was looking to move up to the 330 from my 282 I was really searching to 300 powered boats, the C series engines were out of my price range if i was to remain married. There aren't nearly as many out there with the 300's, at least in my area. I didn't want to deal with the flywheels or the freezing issues on some of the older F350's. I like to fish late season and the ability to just tilt em down and not worry is too valuable. A neighbor of mine had a 2009 F350 and it was the bane of his existence, he has a zuke on the back now.