Extended range fuel bladder's

Moxsea

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm looking at the possiblility of adding an extended range fuel bladder, 100 gallons that I can roll up and store at my destination. Looked at the ATL units and they appear to be what I'm looking for. The questions I have are: 1) Has anyone done this before and what did you purchase? 2) Do you transfer fuel at destination or consume from bladder as you head out? 3) How did you connect to fuel system? and lastly 4) Are you satisfied with the result?
I'm looking to transfer fuel at the destination, I think it is more stable. Given that, I'd like to install a recessed plug-in fuel connector in order to avoid any impact while fishing. Your thoughts on this topic are appreciated. Jack

3rd Day

Reaction score
Hey Jack. I used an 18 gallon bladder on another boat and ran offshore until it was empty, rolled it up and put it away. It was a bit nerve wracking having 18 gallons of fuel in a rubber bag sitting in a motorwell and you're talking about 100 gallons? I'd think long and hard about that choice for extended range. Just my opinion. Be safe

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Always consume fuel from the bladder first. Best option is a quick disconnect from a T in the line just before the fuel filter or valves if you have 2 tanks. This allows you to draw directly from the bladder using your fuel pumps and it empties the bladder. This alleviates a bladder on deck, and typically with the bladder in the cockpit you will get your worst efficiency, the sooner its gone and your back to a normal operating condition, the better. I have a few buddies with 29 coastals that run 100gal bladders when running the canyon, they all run the bladder out first. Another issue is now to transfer fuel from the bladder to the tanks after you use your onboard tanks, this is another reason why using a bladder first is best. It might cost more, but a quick disconnect built into your fuel lines is the way to go if you plan to use the tank a few times, it keeps fuel from spilling and will get you the best economy in the long run.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
30gal drums are great if only for range, but they remain in the cockpit and take up space the whole trip. If your willing to spend the extra money the bladders are nice and can be rolled and stowed on some boats, either way they open the cockpit up for the remainder of the trip especially if you plan to utilize the cockpit.

Moxsea

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Good points about emptying the bladder first. So if i run on the bladder where on the boat would the connection go? my filters are accessible from two areas, a 6" diameter floor plate or the generator access door. each have issues. where would you put the tee and how do I safeguard. I wouldnt want an open hatch in the event the deck takes on water, would flood the bilge??

ahill

Reaction score
The big boats that run from S FL to Mexico/Caribbean and beyond put huge bladders in their cockpits. Everyone I've seen is secured at 4 corners, diagonal, to a strong tieoff point.
Use the bladder first then put it away.
Whats the link for ATL?

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Moxsea, i'm not trying to be a smart a$$, but why would you need the extra 100 gallons, i had that boat with 250's and my range was 400 miles plus. If you planning on a long trip, you can always stop at a marina and get gas. From what i heard(i never used them) those bladders they do not empty completely, so what you do with the gas that is left in there? Is not safe to roll and store somewhere(my opinion).

Moxsea

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Giorgios, You're right having this bladder around even with half a gallon doesn't sound great to me either. This is all started since a buddy I fish with has the same boat east and i'm west. We have both come home in some rough weather (not planned) and got to the dock with less than 30 gallons. I'm looking at this option (not buying yet) to get to the canyons (our combined ranges are Veatch to Toms) and start fishing with nearly full tanks. We usually have gen's running nonstop and troll 8-12 hrs total over the two days. If I find a balance between safety and convenience I'm going for it, Otherwise, I'ain't carazy :). Nothing gives you a worse feeling than to worry about having enough fuel on an overnighter. Also, I do keep and am ready to deploy a Sea anchor in the event of engine shut down, which would get me through the night. Thanks for being the voice of reason. - Jack

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
What about installing an extra 20-30 gallon tank for the generator, assuming you have gas generator and run the generator from that tank. Should be enough room for one under the v birth.

tiderunner

Reaction score
I might use one for Diesel Fuel but for gas no _____ way. Gas is way to explosive for these things and to just roll it up and store it is compleatly nuts again with gas. Diesel is a lot different.