EZ Loader trailer burned and melted

Clark.N

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
6-25-2020 my neighbors garage burned to the ground. It damaged many parts, winch, bunks, lights, wiring, oil bath caps, tires melted and blistered, etc. Most items I am able to take care of. Question: Do you really need a 2-3/8 6 point socket to remove the oil bath caps that are now leaking? The caps are made of AL but look like a 12 point socket would fit best. Is anyone familiar with oil bath hubs on a EZ loader?

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Are you attempting to repair and use a trailer that was subjected to extreme heat? I would think any aluminum parts would be warped or brittle. There’s a risk towing a boat on that.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Agreed. No need to spend time and money on a trailer that has gone through a fire. The metal temper will have been affected leading to a very possible failure down the road if you try and put the trailer back in service.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Agreed agreed agreed (whether aluminum or steel). Do not put this trailer back on the road. Worse things can happen. And I suspect that should he later have an incident, that the insurance company will find any way they can to get out of it as this could be considered negligence. He might be saving pennies to pay dollars.

Besides, doesn't he currently have insurance to cover this? Or did he take the money from insurance and is still trying to use the trailer?

Clark.N

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I may have made the damage appear too severe. It was just a lot of plastic parts and the tires on one side blistered. The carpet on the bunks melted on top. No fire. I only use the trailer to move the boat for maintenance no more than 15 miles a year. The frame and axles look just like it was before my neighbors fire It was sitting in my yard with no insurance since it was not being used, my mistake, thought homeowners would cover. Who expects something to happen to a empty boat trailer in your fenced back yard. Back to my question, has anyone had experience removing the oil bath caps on an easy loader trailer