F 250

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Hi Yall:
I took my boat in to have some work done it. I asked the service manager if they could scope the exhaust side of the motor for my own piece of mind. They did. The motor is like new all up in there. My motor is a 2008 and has 680 hours on it. The compression is tight too.

She said the 225 problem from her observations have all been boats that have been kept in the water in saltwater 100% of the time. She has heard a thing here or there about old f250s, but the problem does not seem to be widespread.

In April we head to the Sunshine state for the kid's spring break. We will be towing her down for her spring shake down run on the mighty St. Johns River. We may get a day fishing offshore out of Port Canaveral or Sebastin Inlet. It has been long winter here in western NC and I can not wait to splash her.

georgemjr

Reaction score
That is great news for you, and hopefully for me. My 2006 F250's have about the same time as yours on them. Will need to get them scoped. I know of one member who had trouble with one of his 2005 F250s, the other was like brand new. He replaced all the parts for both motors since you can't push start em out in the canyon. Better safe than sorry. I am just hopeful it is isolated or was resolved by '06. I have heard that it was, but who knows other than the scope.

L.R.

Reaction score
SmokyMtnGrady said:
Hi Yall:
I took my boat in to have some work done it. I asked the service manager if they could scope the exhaust side of the motor for my own piece of mind. They did. The motor is like new all up in there. My motor is a 2008 and has 680 hours on it. The compression is tight too.

She said the 225 problem from her observations have all been boats that have been kept in the water in saltwater 100% of the time. She has heard a thing here or there about old f250s, but the problem does not seem to be widespread.

In April we head to the Sunshine state for the kid's spring break. We will be towing her down for her spring shake down run on the mighty St. Johns River. We may get a day fishing offshore out of Port Canaveral or Sebastin Inlet. It has been long winter here in western NC and I can not wait to splash her.

Horse Crap!!! She doesn't have a clue....Go to TheHullTruth.com and do a search for Yamaha corrosion.You will be reading for hours....They have a Dry Exhaust ,has nothing to do with Not flushing,keeping in the water.Inferior metal is the problem.There is a class action Law Suit against Yamaha for this problem.I bought a 2005 226 Seafarer with a 2005 F-225 Yamaha with 185 hrs. A few months ago, Always Flushed and Lift Kept...It goes in tomorrow to have the Exhaust done!!!!! It's just starting,but none the less it has it!

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
So is your 225 corroded out with 185 hours on it? Man that stinks if so. I have read some about this and I wonder what is truly going on. The issue does not seem to impact all 225s so if it were just a metal issue would not all motors be impacted? There seems to be other factors going on there. I hope you can resolve this.

L.R.

Reaction score
SmokyMtnGrady said:
So is your 225 corroded out with 185 hours on it? Man that stinks if so. I have read some about this and I wonder what is truly going on. The issue does not seem to impact all 225s so if it were just a metal issue would not all motors be impacted? There seems to be other factors going on there. I hope you can resolve this.
Bob,Supposedly it's a crap shoot on them .I did ALOT of research on them before I bought my Boat.Seems to be mostly F-225's,but they are the Model Yamaha sold the most off.So it's reasonable to say,that Model would be most affected.

There is a Meatal problem!! They have changed the Part number 7 times now! Used to cost $3000.00 plus for repair parts alone.Now you can buy Everything in a Kit that Yamaha came up with because they know there is a problem,but won't admit to it for $1100.00..Have seen pictures of a handfull of F-150,F-200,Alot of F-225's and some F-250's...Hours ,anywhere from 185 [:)] to in the 1000 range.

I pulled the lower on mine when I bought it.Deal was ..ANY white spots and the Price was cut to repair it..Mine is just starting at the very bottom...When I looked at mine at first it had maybe a dozen little white spots,the start of corrosion,I left the leg off for the last 3 months..Getting other Anal stuff done to my Boat...It's getting Worse just sitting there!!!! Have them check it every year is my advice!! If it goes long enough it will eat thru the Oil Pan and there goes your Powerhead!

Have a few pictures of mine,I'll try and post them later.Leaving to take my Boat to my Yam Guy to get the exhaust done...Look for ANY little White spots in the Exhaust Leg...If you see ANY,It's starting and grows FAST!

Fishtales

Reaction score
Doing the same on my two this spring. I hope for the same results!

L.R.

Reaction score
Well,the Engine is off the Boat and in the Shop! Was told by my Guy that the problem is Ethanol Fuel! Ethanol Fuel burns hotter and is corrosive.Along with the dry exhaust.....There it is! When Yamaha came out with these Engines,they didn't anticipate this in the early 2000's.It first showed up in California as they had Ethanol Fuel first.Was told the Coast Guard Boats started seeing it early on.The Part #'s have changed 5 times now and even the new Powerheads are coated!So there it is,Guys..Pretty much from the "Horses" mouth...

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
You know I have seen this before in terms of being a dry exhaust issue and I too thought ethanol might be the culprit. Unfortunately I am forced to use that fuel here in the mountains and I buy non ethanol when I am on the coast. I use ring free religiously and stabil too.

I had a f150 on my 192 and when I sold the boat it had like 700 hours on it. I never scoped it though. I have a 2005 F25 on my skiff. Wonder if they have issues with their tiny motors too?

fishin trip

Reaction score
while you have engine at a shop have them check your thermostat housing .Mine corroded with just 165 hrs ; 2004 225 .sent water into air intake ruined engine.My boat was always kept in a lift and I flushed engine often .Salt water and living in the south with low use seems to be a problem.YAMAHA SAID TOUGH LUCK

swaterhouse

Reaction score
Well, I will add to the mysteries of the F225 corrosion.

My boat, 2004 282 Sailfish, spent the first 8 years (450 or so hours) of its life on a lift in Florida with not even a drop of ethanol fuel through it.

I brought it up to Massachusetts and had my engines scoped this fall because I had noticed some exhaust bubbling up from lower end on port engine only. They said they looked okay but given that I will be trading this boat in the next two years or so I decided to have the work done anyway as I have been told by many brokers that they will deduct the cost from the value if not completed.

Well, just got the pictures back yesterday and there is corrosion way at the top. Now was this because it was:

a) stored in water for two seasons?
b) burned ethanol fuel for 100 of the 550 total hours?
c) run in warm water for 8 years?
d) all the above
e) none of the above!!!!!!!!!!

Lots of good info on THT. I also quoted this work out with several yards and the yards with Master Mechanics knew about the issue and had done dozens of repairs, the other yards had either heard little about it or were clueless to what I was asking them to quote.

L.R.

Reaction score
Any Pictures you could post? Was it the Plate under the Powerhead? Did you have Big Bubbles at Idle? Mine is getting done right now.Exhaust leg did not look bad!Except at the Lower Edge.After It came apart,It was worse up top.Just goes to show,that JUST looking up the Exhaust does NOT tell the whole story!!Mine is a 2005 with 185 hrs.!!! Lift Kept and Flushed...