F-Tales/Dennis/Seasick/Parthery, etc...

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hey Guys..And anyone else who can provide info;

As I've mentioned before, I have 2006 F200's on my 232. The question is simple.

Are my engines subject to this widespread corrosion problem? No symptoms yet other than my guy has done an "exhaust flush" or something like that and some crap fell out of the dismantled lower unit. Other than that, my stbd engine is peeing a slightly weaker stream than my port.

The engines have approx 735 hrs; They run great and have not overheated at idle, which I'm told is a sign to break out the wallet soon.

Just curious if I have it to deal with later.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,

First, don't get all spun up over this.
My understanding is that the primary affected motors are the F225s and very early F250s - pre 2005.
I am going on a limb here, but I believe the coating material and base metals are likely the same for all of their outboards.
That being said, the factors in this problem from everything I've read is the early coating material, the exhaust gas temperature and to some degree water temp or salination in some combination or another. I don't believe the F200 is affected. I've seen nothing to indicate anything beyond early F225s and early F250s.

I would have the motors scoped periodically. You can do this yourself or ask the dealer to do so. The camera is quite cheap and connects via usb to a pc. I don't have one, but I'm told less than $50. When you have the lowers dropped for maintenance, as them to stick the camera up there and look around. It is fairly easy to see. Talk to your dealer and get advice for your area and specific motor.

Finatic

Reaction score
I'm currently in the market to move up to a larger boat from my 232 and most the boats that I'm looking at are powered with either F200s or F225s in the 2003-2006 era. It is my understanding that potentially any of the F200, F225, or F250 may have the midsection corrosion problem. I just spoke with a dealer last week about a boat with twin 2003 F200s with 400hours and they had the midsection exhaust repair completed in 2013, so it appears that it's not just limited to the F225s and F250s. I believe that it is probably a small percentage of the engines that have problems but the end results could be catastrophic. Hopefully your engines don't have this problem but the best thing to do would be to have them scoped for piece of mind. Good luck.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The problem exists primarily in 2002-2005 F200s and F225s....Yamaha changed the design in '05 and motors beyond that time frame essentially have the equivalent of the "kit" that is part of the retrofit/repair. The F250 didn't come along until 2004 anyway and had the redesign from day one....while it's possible an F250 could have the issue, it's unlikely.

The issue occurs because salt air gets up into the midsection, and despite frequent flushing, doesn't get washed out. Salt encourages rust...heat compounds the problem...

A true scope of the midsection involves dropping the lower unit which will run more than $50. However, if the lower units are off for water pump service, it's not a big deal to stick the camera up there and get a look.

MagicalBill, given that the majority of your use is in freshwater, and given that you have post-05 engines, you should be in good shape.

I'm looking at two rigs right now...both 02-05 F225 vintage...both have exhaust corrosion and will need the repair. I'm not shying away from either rig - because once the repairs are done, these are reliable engines that will run for awhile....it is, however, an important part of the negotiations with the seller.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Fish/Finatic;
Thanks for the replys. I will arrange for the scoping process on my next service. My tech replaces the impellers and checks the pump everytime. I appreciate the insight,. I thought the camera thing was a more involved process than you guys describe.

Parth;

My boating was primarily in freshwater..Until I retired and moved to SW Fla. Now, well...
I flush them while running on my lift after every trip. Given the 2006 year and the fact that not all are affected, I'll hope for the odds being slanted towards me.

Thanks all....

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My 2004 225s are due for impeller replacement so Iam having them scoped and checked before spring fishing season.

Where isn a fingers crossed icon? :D

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
MagicalBill...didn't realize you had moved to SW Florida...one of the boats I'm pursuing is in Naples...I'll be down next week for sea trial and inspection if we agree on a few minor details.

The sellers have been reminding me everyday that it is 85 and sunny....the sun has finally broken through here for a few days and we hit 80 yesterday...ready to get back on the water.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Yeah; I moved 2 1/2 years ago...retired and am near Ft Myers. I need to update my member info.

Your seller is telling the truth; ever since the end of Feb we've topped 80 and haven't looked back.

Sending good wishes/vibes your way for a satisfying sea trial; it doesn't get much more tropical than heading out Gordon Pass into the Gulf.