F150 on 18 Sportsman

Greatty

Reaction score
Anybody have fuel burn/MPG numbers for this combination running? I have an ox66 150 on my 99 and have always been happy with it, but curious as to what the the F150 mpg would be :hmm . Thanks, Bob.

capeguy

Reaction score
The GW website has performance for the 180 w/F150. It is a rocket ship. One thing to consider is the weight of the F150 causes the stern to sit low in the water. Water comes in through the scuppers when you stand in the stern. Great efficiency and top end.

Walt1296

Reaction score
My son has a 2000 sportsman 180 with a Honda 130 4 stroke.i know that motor weighs 500lbs. This boat lisps terribly when planned off when you walk around the console. Does anyone have this same set up. It will only reach about 34 mph at WOT and is reaching 5000 RPMs. I installed some automatic trim tabs for the symptom, and that helped, but still does not address the issue. Could the boat be water logged, or it
It just this heavy motor...?

I just bought a 2001 sportsman with a 130 Yamaha 2 stroke. This boat is stable and will run 43+ mph. an awesome boat. My sons boat feels like you are dragging an anchor... Any thoughts?

Walt

capeguy

Reaction score
I had a 180 with a Yam 130 2S. Awesome boat and perfect match with the motor. that motor is almost 100lbs lighter than the 4S if I remember correctly. something seems wrong with the other boat, the motor should hit 5700 rpm or so, I would think. Maybe propped wrong? Mine would list to port when on plane, from the prop torque. I could minimize it with weight and engine trim.

NHAngler

Reaction score
I have a 2004 with a Yamaha F115 4 stroke. Outboard weight is 414 pounds. Takes off OK but not bad. With 1/2 tank of fuel, minimal gear (cooler, tackle, etc), and just me on calm seas I get up to 42MPH at 5800 RPM on the gps. It will go to 6K with a little more trim so I might have 1 more MPH. That said, it cruises best at around 4300-4400 for me and is around 28 MPH. Again, calm seas. Usually just me and my son or a 3rd person. After 2 passengers I'm pretty sure this boat will not do as well taking off. I just did my first offshore trip last weekend (35 miles out) and wow, did this boat perform. Of course the 200 pounds of fish and ice was up front. :wink: I fish with friends from bigger boats of other brands and have to say that GW boats have a ride quality like no other. She knocked down 2 footers as if she was hungry for them.

Last year I called Grady to ask about the weight difference between years and 4 stroke weights. As I was researching this boat and it sounds like in 05/06 they may have added some meat and changes to this model responding to the added 4 stroke weight. If you look at the specs the weight of a current model it is 2150 pounds, while pre 06ish it is 1800 pounds. Grady said they don't weigh their boats every year so unsure of when this may have gained weight. A 350 pound difference in a dry hull is kind of a lot though. I heard the console redesign may have consumed some of this but the rest was likely to deal with the extra 75-80 pounds of motor back there.

Some things to consider that relate to performance on any boat is bottom paint, prop size/type/condition, tide/current/wind, how much weight you have aboard and where it is geographically in the boat. Avoid weight in the stern of the boat if possible. I have a small battery on each side of the same size. No oil tank of course but they are all factors. All boats will list depending on the weight distribution, tide, and wind. Don't be afraid to ask your passenger to move to accommodate a better ride or take off. I do it as a passenger in boats to 23 foot so I'm used to it.

To improve take off has anyone added a 4 blade prop? I would be interested to hear the results as well as what kind / size you used.