F225 Exhaust Corrosion Kit

Bill_N

Reaction score
Saw this posted on THT over the w/e. Apparently Yamaha has decided to offer a kit at cost to repair exhaust
corrosion on the F225 4 strokes. Sent the info to my dealer in CT who confirmed with Yamaha that they are doing this but parts may not be available yet. Sounds like this guy got them. Not sure if Yamaha will reimburse those who paid full price for these parts or not. This is the original info below with part no.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Just delivered from Yamaha 225 replacement exhaust kit
Part # exh kit F200-22 5 02-03

The kit has all the parts needed to repair corrosion on the 225 four stroke
I talked to yamaha at the Ft Lauderdale show, Salesperson said Yamaha is selling kit at cost
for the exhaust corrosion. I ordered it from my local dealer Walkers Marine Ft Myers 239-481-5043 Ken at parts.
Around $600 for each engine Delivered!! It took about 5 wks to get 2 kits regular price was
about $2500 for parts each motor. Kit has all gaskets and manifolds I am waiting for Grouper season to close before i have them installed. Not sure what labor will be yet. I"m thinking
$3000 total cost for both engines parts and labor.. I will save around 5k on replacement..

mjmwelder

Reaction score
I also have a F225 (2002) just wondering what years qualify for the kits at factory cost? Are all the Yamaha dealers aware of this program or do you have to call Yamaha directly and request the kit? Also what was your first signs that you were having problems with the exhaust manifolds?

Thank you Mike

Bill_N

Reaction score
I believe anyone can buy it. I'd call your dealer and ask about it but it's not really a program, just the kit that they're offering at that price. You would still pay for labor and any other parts that need replacement.

I have a pair of 2002 F225's and I haven't seen any sign of corrosion on my engines but others on this forum have. Just trying to spread the word.

bc282

Reaction score
spoke with Andy of SIM a few days ago regarding the kit.
Yes, the "kit" is available and for about $600 per engine. Estimated tech time to re and re parts is about 10-12 hours (if tech knows what he is doing).
Not really a DIY project IMO.
If you do the kit, Andy suggested changing a few other items while the powerhead is off as for a couple hundred extra bucks you can replace the oil pump as well as the labor involved wouldn't be much more since the powerhead had to be removed anyways.

being that my boating is in the PacNW, Andy (the good man that he is) suggested me NOT to buy unless i had issues with the engine. He also mentioned that although my 2002 F225's are prone to the issue, fresh water and cold water run engines are highly unlikely to develop the corrosion issues as he has not heard of any corrosion exhaust engine issues from freshwater nor cold salt water used engines--just warm salt water units such as FLA.

He also noted that the tell tail signs of corrosion problem could be one or both of the following:
1. overhead at idle (ok at mid and high throttle)
2. water in the engine oil

It's unlikely that the corrosion issue would lead to instant unforseen engine failure, as the tell take signs show some time before failure.

A little peace of mind for myself until i pull the lower end and take a look (gotta change the impeller so good opportunity to inspect for the corrosion issue).

SwiftCloud

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I'm not sure my engine needs this (yet), but got a quote today of $522 parts and $2,400 labor.

I was expecting labor at half that price. Anyone else have quotes to compare?

bc282

Reaction score
$2400 for labour for one engine seems very high as $2400/shop rate of $95/hr is 25+ hours. For twins this may be acceptible IMO, but not for a single engine.
I would ask if they have done this kind of work before (essentially removing the powerhead, lower unit, and mid section and replacing the required parts--not blue printing and engine!).
I would seek another Yami dealer to get a labour cost comparison as parts should be similar cost, could save you $1000+.

If you boat in cold water, i would consider holding off on the work, inspect as much as you can when you do a impeller/pump change and wait to see if you develop one of the signs of the corrosion issue.

plenty of F225's without corrosion issue and hundreds and thousands of hours.

Bill_N

Reaction score
BC is correct. $1000 - $1500 per engine is more typical based on what I was told by my service guy

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I had the exhaust replaced on one of my 225s last year. I agree with the above comments about the oil pump. If you are in there, and have access to it repalce it. Im pretty sure in a conversation I had with a rep. from yamaha last year, That he said they do this on all warranty jobs. As far as my engines go, they are 02's which have lived there entire life in a saltwater, so the parts didn't come apart easily. If I remember correctly it was about 3k in parts including oil pump etc. and about 1.5k labor. Just my luck, right after I pay full price for the job they come out with a kit at a major discount. Thanks again Yamaha.