F225 factory rep

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I spoke to the Yamaha factory rep yesterday at the NY boat show regarding the corrosion of the exaust manifolds. He did admit there has been some problems but not widspread. He said to flush the motors often. Most problems have been saltwater motors but there have been some that came from freshwater. I asked what should I look out for. He said to check the oil after every use and if you see any water in the oil discountinue use. He also said that if a problem exists you may see an oil sheen in the water around the lower unit. To inspect he said to look up the shaft with lower unit off with a narrow bean flashlight and there is a flat square plate that should have 90 degree edges. This plate should be intact with defined edges. If the plate is worn and the edges are not sharp and you see dark spots of corrosion that will be a sign that the corrosion is a problem. He said if I had any problems to bring the boat to a Yamaha certified dealer and have them call their customer service number. He said they have been helping with repairs but the amount has varried due to warranty, usage and care.

Moxsea

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
What year are your motors? I was told the same by the rep, and since I'm doing water pumps in march I'll check at that time. My motors are coming out of warranty in April this year. If there is corrosion I'll bring it to Jersey in April and see what they say. I'll report back on my findings. Wishing you and me much luck.

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
F225

My F225's are 2002's. I just had my water pumps done this past July so i was not planning on removing the lower units again. Maybe this spring I will remove one and check, not that difficcult to pull. Good luck.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the report LJ.Just wondering if he mentioned what year and HP were most effected by the corrosion?

2005 300 Marlin w/F250's

Moxsea

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I did Ask that question of the rep! he stated 2002, 2003 were affected, also stated 2004 model year was resolved. I've got 2004 F225's. once I open them up I'll know if that is true. The other thread on this problem listed 2002 thru 2004 models affected. I hope the rep is correct.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Me too - please let us know if you find anything when you open it up - Good Luck!!

Funny how this all of a sudden began to appear - All I have heard about these 4 stroke is that they are still writing history on them - some commercial guys with thousansd of flawless hours? Hopefully it is an isolated issue

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Me too - please let us know if you find anything when you open it up - Good Luck!!

Funny how this all of a sudden began to appear - All I have heard about these 4 stroke is that they are still writing history on them - some commercial guys with thousansd of flawless hours? Hopefully it is an isolated issue

CKJR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have my lower unit off for a water pump change, looked up as far as i could see and saw all black. Hopefully all is ok. I took some photos but cant seem to upload to the post??