F225 Lower Unit Questiion

sluggoe

Reaction score
i have twin 2002 F225s with approx 300 hours on my Sailfish which is on blocks currently.

I am getting ready to launch it this week but i noticed a small amount of gear oil coming out of the fill hole near the tip of the torpedo tube.

Boat has been on blocks for approx 3 weeks and I never noticed any dripping gear oil b4 today. Engines were completely serviced last fall b4 being put to bed (including new gear oil).

Does anyone think the seals are shot? Is this an expensive fix? I guess better to get it fixed b4 launching, right?

--sluggoe

dduflo

Reaction score
Are you sure it is gear oil? Here is the reason I ask. Last year when I changed the motor oil I tipped up the motors and, after removing the cowling, I removed the drain plug but neglected to turn the motors to the left so that the plug would be at its lowest point. This resulted in some motor oil running down into the lower unit and out of the hole that water would normally drain from. Panic attack until I realized what had happened. I'm not sure about this but it might be possible that when the oil fillter was changed some oil may have run down into the lower unit. Good luck and let us know what you find.

sluggoe

Reaction score
the drip was coming from the lower unit screw hole on the outside of the torpedo tube....i spoke to the mechanic who did the work and he put new washers/seals on it and re-tightened;

all seems fine so far...haven't noticed any more dripping;

thx for your input;

--sluggoe.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
If it were mine, I would run the boat for a few hours and then ether beach it or pull it and check the lower unit oil in both drives. It is easy to do, just unscrew the lower drain plug with the upper plug in place and look at the oil that comes out. If it is milky you have a problem. By doing this you will only loose an oz of oil or so.

It is probably nothing but you don't want to take the risk and ruin a lower unit.

seasick

Reaction score
If your mechanic didn't replace the gaskets the first time he changed the oil, he should be shot:) You are probably fine.