F225 lower unit seals

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Has anyone done their lower unit seals on their F225's? I believe there are 3 seals; drive shaft, prop shaft and linkage. I am not sure which ones are bad but I am certain the drive shafts are shot, took off the water pumps and notice the seals were shot on both engines. Any idea on what they cost to replace? Thanks

CKJR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I had one of my f225's lower unit with milky oil so i had my local yamaha guy replace all of them, it was not too expensive. that was 2 years ago, last year the oil was perfect when changed for the winter. you might need special tools for the repair. What i did was to drop the lower and bring it in, saved some money that way.

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I did just that yesterday afternoon, dropped them off at the local Yamaha mechanic. They will test them and let me know what seals need to be replaced.

CKJR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Who does your repair work? I usually deal with alhambra marine in seaford.

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am using Great Bay Marine in East Islip, they are local and certified Yamaha dealer. I have never had anything done other than water pumps, thermoststas the usual maintance stuff and would use Spellmans. I am tired of paying for water pumps when they are so easy to do, I decided to start doing them myself. I have another Yamaha on my Angler and hate paying for 3 motors when I can do most of the minor things myself.

CKJR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I try to do as much as i can. Water pumps are not too difficult. The ist time is a bear since you have to remove the wodruff key. What i had to do this year is to replace the trim seals since they were leaking.

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Did you do your trim seals yourself? Mine look OK but assume that is next. My engines are 02's and if yours have already gone mine cant be far behind.

CKJR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
the trim seals were relatively easy. The trim cylinders were leaking. What made the job easy is the tool i had to buy from yamaha 75 bucks!. the parts were cheap and the repair went quickly with no hiccups. If you need to do them, let me know and i will loan you the tool. I am located in farmingdale. What i need to do next is the large tilt seals which is more difficult since there is more to take apart.