F225 oil leak on transom?

Performance42

Reaction score
Model
Express 360
I have an oil leak / dripping onto my transom when I tilt my F225 all the way up. I think I may have caused the issue by adding oil, when the engine didn't need more.

Anyone run into this problem with a Yamaha F225 or F250 (2002 thru 2100 model year)?

It's not a lot of oil on the transom, and I didn't notice any oil on the transom before the recent oil addition (1/2 quart) a week ago.

The dip stick looked low - .and now reads about 1/2 way up the hash marks.

Can you overfill an F225? It's not overfilled according to the dip sick?

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd ensure I have the appropriate amount of oil. Clean it up and watch it for a while and see if it stops while checking the oil regularly. In parallel, talk to a mechanic. No need to panic until you have more data and info.

Reactions: Performance42

seasick

Reaction score
I am not saying for sure what the cause is but to get an accurate dip stick reading, the motor may need to sit tilted down for a fairly long time. This is especially true if the motor had been tilted up and it is cold. These motors don't like to be overfilled. If there is too much oil, the moving parts can stir up the oil and cause it to to foam. The foamy oil can overflow.( and that's the least of your worries with foamy oil)
Even after adding oil, you have to let the motor sit again for a decent amount of time to get an accurate dip stick reading. The wait time can be 5,10 minutes or even and hour depending on the viscosity and temperature.