F225 on a 204c Overnighter?

timo14

Reaction score
Hi all,
Been a while since I last posted. Life can really get away from you...

I have a 1999 225 Johnson on my 86 204c. It’s served me very well, and still runs great. However, I don’t have a lot of confidence in it anymore. It stuttered a few times in the late summer, and that really made me think. I have my two kids with me a lot, and we venture out to the nearshore reefs now and then. I’ve thought of getting a newer boat, but I’m thinking I might repower instead. I‘m thinking a new Yamaha F225. I can’t imagine going down in HP.

The Yamaha weighs about 560. My Johnson 225 weighs about 460. I moved my batteries forward about 10 years ago. They are right behind the cabin doors. (There was a giant hollow spot there, from bulkhead to bulkhead, between the stringers). My scuppers are above the water line now. I had my kid sit on the motor not long ago, and they were still above the line. He weighs 90 pounds... close enough. Transom is original, however I did glass over that aluminum cap about 10 years ago too. The wood was a little wet, but solid. I have no cracking at all back there. For an extra measure, I have a 3x3 stainless steel angle all the way across. The top mounting bolts go through it. So it’s like a giant washer.

So, my question is, in general, what do you all think? 6 year warranty is pretty appealing. So is hydraulic steering. So is a quiet, non-smokey motor that I can rely on. I will miss the hole shot... I’m sure the 4 stroke isn’t going to be as punchy. Any other positives or negatives you can think of to help me decide what to do?

Thanks!
Tim

Fishtales

Reaction score
I thought the F225s were close to the smaller F250 which are north of 600 lbs. I would get a couple of guys in the boat (aft end) and try to simulate the additional weight and see how your scuppers sit. The two things I'd be concerned about are scupper position in the water with full fuel and load as well as weight on the transom.

seasick

Reaction score
What is the listed max HP for that hull. I think it might be lower than 225 hp

timo14

Reaction score
It is rated for 235. Evinrude made a 235 back in the day.
trust me, I though about twin 115’s...

seasick

Reaction score
The Yami I4 200 might be a good motor for that hull
It is rated for 235. Evinrude made a 235 back in the day.
trust me, I though about twin 115’s...
That hull is probably too small for twins. Spacing could be an issue but more importantly handling may be iffy due to the possibility of intermittent differences in thrust on one side vs the other

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Another vote for the I4 200. You are adding 150 lbs back there with the F225.

CJ7Rob

Reaction score
Cheaper to just get the Johnson tuned up, lol

timo14

Reaction score
I had the old motor gone over thoroughly 4 years ago. Like I said, it still runs great, but how much more cannon really expect from it. No hour meter, but it’s surely over 1000 hours.

I’ll look into that 200 seriously. I just hate going backwards on HP. Thanks for the advice.