F250 lower mount corrosion

30marlin

Reaction score
Anybody had to deal with this yet?

Thinking about cutting off the bolts and install new ones from the outside so I don't have to take apart the power head. [/album][/album]

Attachments

• mount1.jpg
    mount1.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 1,159

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I noticed the same corrosion on my 250s and asked a dealer and they said not to worry. Said it looks worse than it was. I don't know if I agree cause mine looked as bad as your bolts.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Tough to see as the picture is large.
I just changed the trim pins on one of my outboards (F250) when doing the mid section replacement (corrosion issue).
These screw into the what I believe is the lower mount you are showing. If the lower mount needs to be replaced, the part is almost $2K and the engine needs to come off the transom. Lucky I didn't need that.... Do you do regular sacrificial zinc replacements? I do them every three years and they are pretty much ready to be replaced at that point.

30marlin

Reaction score
Just messed with them today to see if the bolts could come out if I cut the head.

It did look a lot worse until I knocked of the scale. Much of the washer is still intact and the bolt head will still grip a 19mm open ended.
I tighten everything back up and Boe-shieled and greased what I could. Will give it another year and see what happens.

The parts are cheap but to properly replace them is highly labor intensive. If I go that route I might as well replace the oil pan and muffler housing if needed and the corroding aluminum
transom cap.

Zincs get replaced every two years and I do flush and rinse everything I can on the engine.

Attachments

• mount1.jpg
    mount1.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 1,070

30marlin

Reaction score
This is how the bolt head and washer and mount looks in new condition.

Attachments

• mount2.jpg
    mount2.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 1,070