F250 Rebuild Labor Hours

lgusto

Reaction score
Anyone know what Yamaha technical books estimate for an F250 short block rebuild? Or where to look for such info? My dealer tells me there's no such guideline which seems odd.

Thank you

CKJR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Not sure on a rebuild but a factory new short block is around 5 grand, swapping all other parts from one block to another is about another 3 grand or so. I had this done on one of my f225's a few years back

Fishtales

Reaction score
Probably 10Kish each would be my guess. I had the midsection repair done and then did all the extras that was recommended and I was in the 4K range for each motor. Yours has many more undiscounted parts.

lgusto

Reaction score
Thanks guys, but looking for the labor hours needed for a short block rebuild according to Yamaha. I figure there must be a book of standard hours, like when your auto dealer quotes you 2 hours for a job.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Just contact yamaha, they should be able to provide that information.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
What happened to your F250 ?

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
There are quite a few nice fourstrokes for sale on THT.

lgusto

Reaction score
Final tally was 35 hours.

To recap, broke a piston last year with 2100 hours on the motor, no clear cause. Decided on new Yamaha powerhead versus a rebuild thinking it would be better for reliability and longevity. The new factory powerhead always burned some oil but with 250 hours started burning about a quart every 2-3 hours. Yamaha suggested their "deep engine cleaning" which cost about $800. No help. Tore the powerhead down and found glazed cylinders. Honed the cylinders and rplaced rings. All told about $8k for the new powerhead last year and $7k for the deep clean and rebuild this year.

As for the cause, everyone's run for cover. Yamaha/Dealer said it was maybe bad gas, bad break in, too much trolling, too much high speed running, blah, blah, blah.

Anyway, the boat is back in Sarasota for the winter and the Kingfish are in.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
So, you bought an assembled power head (pistons, crank etc.) had it installed by a certified Yamaha tech, and got 250 hours out of it ?

Time to involve department of consumer affairs and legal action. I would also gout out of my way to publicize the dealer mechanic that you were working with. The Hull Truth is the place for that. Especially a Florida Boat. This guy should be offering to contribute to the resolution of your problem as should Yamaha. You need to find the name and number of the Yamaha Sales Rep that sells into that territory and ride him until he breaks. He will.

lgusto

Reaction score
Harpoon, yes, factory powerhead in the box, certified Yamaha tech. I spend summers in Maine and the dealer is up there. Small town, don't need to publish anything embarassing. But Yamaha customer service was just like "oh well, these things happen". Not sure what tree to bark up at this point. Won't be buying anymore Yamahas, that's for sure.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Embarrassing ? The guy is dishonest or at the very least doesn't stand behind his work. HE should be making a case with Yamaha for you, but instead hangs you out to dry. If this were a new engine replaced in your Toyota, how would this go down ?

These pricks think they are the only game in town and get very arrogant. There are a couple of those guys around here too.

I went through this crap a few years ago with a defect on a Zuke 250 with 0 hours on it. They tried to deny me support because I bought the motor out of town and mounted it myself. The motor had a hole in the engine mount casting. A kid behind the counter at a dealer gave me the local Zuke sales rep's contact information and I rode him like a rented mule. Within a week Suzuki contacted me and arranged for the service.