F250 seems to be have a lot of play left to right.

wrobinson

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
When I was coming in the other day, I noticed my port enginge was gyrating at speed. When I got back to the dock and looked at it, it seems there is a lot of play in the mounting bracket rod/bushing. Anybody else ever have this happen?

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Not sure I understand... when you say "mounting bracket/rod bushing" are you talking about the steering linkage?

wrobinson

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
No its not in the steering linkage. On the top of the mounting bracket, there is a rod with nuts on each side and grease fittings on each side that runs through the motor. Seems like that rod is what holds the motor on the mounting bracket. Its right over the transom. The motor is walloring around that rod.

catch22

Reaction score
wrobinson said:
No its not in the steering linkage. On the top of the mounting bracket, there is a rod with nuts on each side and grease fittings on each side that runs through the motor. Seems like that rod is what holds the motor on the mounting bracket. Its right over the transom. The motor is walloring around that rod.

This rod?

Part # 21 - http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamah ... arts.html#

wrobinson

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yep something in that assembly around part number 21. I'm almost wondering if that rod could have broken in there. I haven't hit anything but something is definantly amiss in there.

30marlin

Reaction score
My F250 seams to have quite a bit of play in those bushings as well.
The guy how did the survey said that this is common for these these engines with a few hours. He said he has seen a few that were missing also.

I have 200 hours on the engines. My starboard engine seams to have more play than the right. This is noticeable when the engine is tilted all the way and you can easily rock up and down and side to side.

Don't know if these bushing are brass or made out of fiber. I would like to pull the engine off the bracket and change it this winter.

Scrounger

Reaction score
Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays.

fletch1.jpg

wrobinson

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have talked to some other folks and they agree it is not uncommon. I'm thinking my concern that the engine might fall off 50 miles offshore was an overeaction so I am going to try and make it through fishing season and see if I can figure our what needs to be changed or tightened this fall.

Didn't look like it would cost too much to change out that whole assembly. Oh well, add it to the list.

wrobinson

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I fixed it at least for now.

After talking to a couple of mechanics, I tightened bolt #17 on the diagram and it tightened up nicely. We will se how long it lasts.