F250 Yamaha Corrosion

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I wanted to share my experience with what im going through now. For all you F250 owners take notice. I had an engine failure when my oil pan and exhaust corroded causing oil to mix with water. Hoping damage was limited to just corrosion fell short when I just learned that the engine failed a leak down test. Yamaha originally offered to cover parts (5 months out of warantee) but labor was on me. My Yamaha dealer is going to contact Yamaha and report their findings(fingers crossed they do the right thing). My main purpose for this post to to make F250 owners aware that we are just as vulnerable as F225 owners. The problem is the only way to truly check for corrosion is to pull the powerhead. To make matters worse my dealer told me they have already seen corrosion damage on '07 engines as well. Unfortunately pulling a powerhead is not a routine service procedure but if I knew it was possibile that the result of corrosion would cause a catastrophic engine failure I would have scheduled the work before having to deal with this.

'05 300 Marlin F250's

Reactions: igblack87

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Sorry to hear this. I have the same rig as you and hope I don't have these issues! Not sure what I could do anyways. Keeps us updated.
Nick

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks Nick. I will keep everyone updated. There is NOTHING you can do to prevent this or even see it coming. I was out a couple of days prior to when it happened and she ran like a champ. 2 days later I turned the key and the damage was done. Its a uneasy feeling not knowing if or when it could happen. Thats why I said I would have definatly done the necessary work to it. Quite an expensive preventive maintance procedure. Figure 4-5K for twins. Doesnt seem right for a 6 year old motor(bought new in '06)

PLEASE understand this post is NOT designed to be a bash on Yamaha. I just want people to be aware of this problem now showing on F250's

'05 300 Marlin F250's

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi Gman,
All I can say is that sux big time. Initially this was described as an early year (2002-2005) F225 problem. Looks like it is more than that motor and possibly wider date range.
Here is a few of links to threads on THT that describe the issue and impact. Looks like the inspection should be part of the winterization schedule if it is as easy as I'm led to believe. Good luck and keep us informed.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-for ... rokes.html

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-for ... osion.html

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-for ... osion.html

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-for ... efect.html

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-for ... ticle.html

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I had a similar problem on a 2006-2007 F250 with less than 400 hours. It ran great, but I discovered an oil leak down the side and took off the prop to troubleshoot and noticed a piece of loose cast aluminum metal in the exhaust behind the prop shaft support that was too big to come out of the exhaust. Turns out it was a piece of the exhaust tuner that had corroded off and fallen down into the exhaust. It was still under warranty and the oil leak was from corrosion around the oil pan. I only lost a small trickle of oil and compression on all cylinders was and remains good for the past 100 hours or so. The fix cost Yamaha, not me, but required the head to come off, new oil pan, etc. We inspected the starboard engine and it appeared to be fine, no corrosion on the tuner or around the oil pan. Only appeared to be problem on the port engine. I bought the boat used last year so I can't vouch for the flushing regimen before me. I'll reinspect next water pump replacement.

CKJR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
gman, Drop an email to Boat US, They are compiling data on exhaust corrosion and will present it to Yamaha. I know what you are going through since my 2004 f225's had the corrosion issue earlier this year. We have to get together on this issue for yamaha to take notice & hopefully stand behind their product.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Never read of F250 problems, only F225s. Been away from THT for a while though.

Hope it works out.

You'd think by now Yamaha knows how to design and build marine outboards. But in any case, that's what warranties are for. All they have to do is add an extended warranty specific to the particular motor system questionable, and/or a recall with dealer supported periodic internal inspection instructions, etc., ... with respect to all F owners as a freebe say10 yrs total.
It's a no brainer.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for everyones response. I havent heard back yet from my dealer but ill keep ya informed. Seriously considering a re-power when all this is resolved. Either new F250's or maybe F300's..I havent lost faith in Yamaha yet.

'05 300 Marlin F250's

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
It got me thinking of a repower as well. Not necessarily because of the corrosion but for the warranty. My mechanic truly thinks the 2005 F250 was one of their best engines, and he talked me out of repowering a few months ago when someone wanted to buy my motors.
If you start crunching the numbers for the repower, I would be very interested in hearing the details. Personally, I'm curious what you can get for your old motors, best price for new, and total out of pocket expense vs yamaha finance options. Oh man, I just got excited for you. :mrgreen: The whole corrosion thing really stinks but if this puts you in a position to get some new Yams on that Marlin, you know damn well it will be hard to not see it as a positive....in the end. :dance

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I agree 1000%. I feel a lot more comfortable having engines with warrantee . I was talking to my yami dealer and he was saying there arent really too many guys that look to sell good running F' strokes. But there are guys looking to buy them. I did a search and ya should be able to get anywhere from 9-11K depending on hrs. The 300s sound real nice with the electronic controls and sync but that setup is gonna run about 50K..A lot more $ rigging and components. The F250s(still a great engine) can be hung on the transom and connected up exactly like the '05s. Very little rigging expense.After speaking to him we kinda both agreed the 250s are the way to go. And the Yami promotion now is 6 years warrantee(which is a must!!!!!!) till Dec 15ish. At this point im just waiting to hear from Yamaha to see what they are gonna do for me. Stay Tuned 8)

'05 300 Marlin F250's

anothertoy

Reaction score
I have a 2002 Sailfish with twin 225 Yamahas. Last spring I got the dreaded overheat at idle after returning from a fishing trip. After replacing impellers, thermostats and pressure control valves I was down to pulling the power heads. I was shocked to see the extent of the corrosion on both motors. There were holes in the exhaust and the oil pans were so thin that you could poke a pencil through them. If you think replacement parts are expensive in the US, they are twice the price here in Canada. Parts only was about $3000 per motor. I contacted Yamaha Canada regarding the problem and was very disappointed with their response which was essentially "what do you expect for a 10 year old motor". I know from this experience that I would stay away from this era of these motors.

bc282

Reaction score
hmmmm, i was under the heavy impression that the corrosion issue was very much a warm water (southern) issue.
spoke with Andy of SIM who seemed to think with some good degree of certainty that these corrosion incidents were limited to places like florida.

what is the average water temp in NY or NJ?
Were the engines originally from the area or boat/motors bought used from southern warmer water regions?

i too have a 2002 F225 twin combo. "anothertoy", was your boat/motors from the PacNW or like mine which was acquired from the south (found mine in Galveston, Tx)?

might loose some sleep over this and be forced to wait until spring to inspect lower when i go to pull and replace stat and impeller.
if it looks scary, i'll buy the "corrosion kit" of parts for both engines from Andy at SIM in wisconson and ship them up to canada as i'm surprised the "kit" is not price reduced north of the border as it already is down south.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Starting to loose sleep here too.

With regard to water temperatures:
The ocean here along the beaches in NJ typically drops to fifty degrees F around Thanksgiving.
The ocean will get to about 78 degrees along the coast in summer.
Our lagoon is near a nuclear plant outflow, this past summer we saw over 92 degrees for a week or so.

No problems with my 2006 F250's (yet).

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
G man...Thanks for the heads up. One of the things that you MIGHT have on your side is that if this is the start of a new problem for Yamaha engines, they may want to avoid all the bad publicity they got by their mishandling (my opinion) of the f 225 debacle. The f-250 is one of their most popular engines and if it looks like it's subject to the same problem that their previous generation of engines had, that doesn't say much for their engineering etc. What did they learn and what did they do about it? You may have your dealer raise that issue on your behalf..nothing to lose, right? Good luck and keep us posted...I hope that it all works out for you. By the way, I see that youre in Bay Shore..Im right next door in WI.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think there have been other F250's that have been victim of corrosion. Maybe not as many as the F225 but that may be because the F225s have been around longer. As you see more and more hours on the F250s you might see more effected by corrosion.

Like I said earlier I would have had the work done if I knew my engines could be vulnerable to this.Yamaha is helping with a parts kit..about $650 per engine and im doing the other engine as well while shes laid up.

Update: We discovered the heads were damaged from the water intrusion and I should hear tomorrow if Yamaha is gonna cover me with new heads. So far thats the only damaged discovered and my mech is happy with how everything else looks.

IF NOTHING ELSE GUYS, GET YOUR ENGINES SCOPED!!!!!!! You might see something in time and avoid what im going through!!

'05 300 Marlin F250's

CKJR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
My f225's were installed in 2004 and never left long island waters. Always flushed after use so its not just a southern climate situation. As time passes, I think you will be hearing more on this issue. I did not have overheat warning but had to pull a powerhead for replacement- i had corrosion in the block behind the starboard motors thermostat- block corrosion inside out - how do you like that for a 7 year old motor. The exhaust corrosion was well underway but not through critical areas -the hours were approximately 600 on the engines.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I've heard a price bottom line soup to nuts quoted of $50K to repower to the big block 250s full controls, props, tax, pulling boat, etc.

Once your existing F250s are straightended out correctly, you will be back in business with no notice like it ever occured the first time. Take the savings and pick up a red convertible for the Admiral.

If you are keeping the Marlin for another few years, 3 more seasons say, that will get you to the next point - perhaps entire new boat (?) Or if you decide to keep the existing Marlin another 5 or more years at that point thereon, repower then. Existing F resale won't matter much at 7 or 10 yr mark, and not likely to fade considering staggering new big block costs.

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Guys, I may be stepping way out of line here, but you all are exhibiting "battered wife syndrome." You have an expensive product that is failing way too soon in its life; the manufacturer is doing as little as possible to make it right AND YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT BUYING MORE ENGINES FROM THEM? For a 6 year warranty? Then what? Buy new again?" As my former father-in-law loved saying - ya'll have more money than brains.

I am so happy that I do not have Yamaha motors on my boat. It was pure happenstance that I didn't end up with them as three years ago, I would have happily accepted them. Not any more. It will be a long time before Yamaha earns my trust back and proves their motors are reliable for the long term. I doubt we're going to see Yamaha motors last like the Johnson/Evinrude and Mercury 2 stroke motors have.

Gary 93 Gulfstream/03 Suzukis

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
LOL!! Gary..You are pretty much spot on.Might be a "Cult" thing :shock: ... I dont think there is a "perfect" outboard out there. Im making this decission based on the time the Yammi 4 strokes have been out and how many actual issues there have been. The one main one that we all know about is the rotting oil pan and exhaust. Once that has been resolved what other issues have there been? There is no denying the fact that Yamaha is the most popular outboard in the USA and I have read other blogs that mention corrosion in other makes too..Maybe we just hear more about Yamaha because there are more of them out there.

I just wonder how this affects GW since Yamaha is the only power they offer on new rigs. How many people walked away from GW because of lost faith in Yamaha?

'05 300 Marlin F250's