Factory Spec Gas Tank ...

LisaN

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 283
Sadly we have a leaker -- but we love her and want to replace the tank. We want it done to factory specs but the company that Grady referred us to was so pricey (or maybe not.. perhaps I am just delusional lol). We are doing the work ourselves, but need it built. Any recommendations? We have a 2008 283 Release and are located in South Jersey.

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Sadly we have a leaker -- but we love her and want to replace the tank. We want it done to factory specs but the company that Grady referred us to was so pricey (or maybe not.. perhaps I am just delusional lol). We are doing the work ourselves, but need it built. Any recommendations? We have a 2008 283 Release and are located in South Jersey.

Grady will send you the specs for the tank and the diagram with the dimensions.
Just have someone fabricate it, (cost me 800 for my 208 Grady) and then install it yourself.

LisaN

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 283
Grady will send you the specs for the tank and the diagram with the dimensions.
Just have someone fabricate it, (cost me 800 for my 208 Grady) and then install it yourself.

Yes we intend to do that -- the quote from the place Grady recommended was $4000! (for the 238) - we already have the diagram and dimensions but I want to find a good quality place that may be more competitive - did you get aluminum or plastic?

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Aluminum
I used a local fabricator here on L.I - Alloy Metal Works.
BTW- that is w/o the epoxy coating

coldpizza

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Is the epoxy for the outside of the tank for the inside? Years ago I 'coated' inside a gasoline tank on my motorcycle, and it worked out great.

coldpizza

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Great info. The tanks in my GW are 16 years old and may lift deck 'covers' to see the bilge area. Thinking ahead about fuel tanks (both main and aux) and other things to look at when the bilge area.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
The factory tanks are usually rather cheapo as they use thinner aluminum. A good certified builder will be able to replicate and most likely suggest a thicker gauge material. This is my suggestion.

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I could tell you on my '93 208 the fuel tank was no cheapo, that thing was heavy and lasted 25 years

Keeldad

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I used SP for a ‘76 Mako tank about 5 years ago. At that time they were located in Barnegat. Great people and product. I plan on replacing my tank on my ‘99 226 over the winter and will use SP again.

Reactions: LisaN

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I went back to the OEM supplier, FMT, and had them make me both tanks for my 2004 228. No issues.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hoping I do not need a new tank in the near future, but the one consideration I would have is whether to consolidate the two tanks into a single one. The new 228s come with a single large tank and may save on maintenance

Not sure how the 283 is designed but the fuel switch valve on my 228 has seen better days. Still works but I feel like it’s days are numbered .

If you consider consolidating, you would want to move as far forward as possible.

LisaN

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 283
The factory tanks are usually rather cheapo as they use thinner aluminum. A good certified builder will be able to replicate and most likely suggest a thicker gauge material. This is my suggestion.

I think MAYBE that is where my husband got the estimate -- thank you

LisaN

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 283
Hoping I do not need a new tank in the near future, but the one consideration I would have is whether to consolidate the two tanks into a single one. The new 228s come with a single large tank and may save on maintenance

Not sure how the 283 is designed but the fuel switch valve on my 228 has seen better days. Still works but I feel like it’s days are numbered .

If you consider consolidating, you would want to move as far forward as possible.
Agreed on moving on with it -- we have a single tank

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Contact “Patriot Marine” also located in south Jersey.
I called all over and Patriot had the best price. He built a custom made tank quickly, delivered when promised, had the best price and the tank is high quality.
If you go back in my posts you’ll find where I detailed that project.
Grady builds these tanks just a hair bigger than the hatch opening above it. I had to cut the tank in half to get it out. No getting around it. I flushed it out with water a few times before I started cutting.
I made my tank slightly smaller than the original going from 65 gallons to 60 gallons. This way it dropped right in. I used “Azek” plastic board material from Home Depot to replace the wood planks that the factory used to secure the tank.
While you have it all apart replace “all” the the fuel related lines and use two quality marine clamps on every connection. This job is not one to short cut or get back into anytime soon. ;)
Patriot will install a new sending unit in the tank for you.

Reactions: LisaN and leeccoll

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Lt.Mike,
Excellent advise you gave LisaN :cool:
I used Azek as you did for spacers.
The only thing I did in addition is upgrade to a KUS/Wema sender. The unit Patriot installs is Moller. I just wanted to go the extra mile like you said so I don't need to deal with it for a long time.
I also ordered a rubber gasket in instead of using the cork one from KUS as well. Paul knocked off a few bucks for the sending unit. Whatever his cost was.
Really fair and knowledgeable person and a great experience like you had.

Reactions: Lt.Mike

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Lt.Mike,
Excellent advise you gave LisaN :cool:
I used Azek as you did for spacers.
The only thing I did in addition is upgrade to a KUS/Wema sender. The unit Patriot installs is Moller. I just wanted to go the extra mile like you said so I don't need to deal with it for a long time.
I also ordered a rubber gasket in instead of using the cork one from KUS as well. Paul knocked off a few bucks for the sending unit. Whatever his cost was.
Really fair and knowledgeable person and a great experience like you had.
Mine had a wema sender installed as it was what I asked for. Might have switched brands since I had my tank done.
Anyone reading our glowing reviews on Patriot would wonder what’s behind it. Paul has got that old school pride in his craft and isn’t out to rip anyone off. He’s a rare kinda guy to find these days.