Fell MOB+ vs ACR OLAS Guardian

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
researching which wireless Kill Switch/MOB alarm to buy...if any..
https://www.acrartex.com/products/acr-olas-guardian/
https://buy.fellmarine.com/collecti...erboard-system/products/mob-basepack-multifob

Fell has some bad reviews due to water in the FOB and/or the main hub. Max of 4 fobs. Fobs are $43 plus you have to buy a wristband or clip for about $25. (lets call it $65 for FOB+Band)
Kit with Hub and one fob (no wristband) is $219. (Lets call it $250 with a wristband) so $250 +$195 = $445 for a setup of 4.
Some complaints about pairing.
2 1/8" cutout to mount everything in dash. Looks like a nice clean setup for a small boat.

ACR Guardian $250 for base kit with one tag wristband included. Extras are one for $89($71 amazon) four for $299 ( $250 on amazon) They are wristband.
so $250+$213= $465 for setup of 4
You could also buy "Float-On" which is like a life jacket strobe with the MOB tag inside.
can connect up to 15 (maybe 25 now?)
Smaller dash button(nice) and larger square box to mount somewhere. Box looks a bit clunky.
Has iOS App in addition to base station/kill switch. idk how good it is. I was not impressed with ACRs app for my AIS transponder.
There are some bad reviews regarding connection and alarms.

I'm leaning toward ACR.
My Suzukis have a single kill switch for both motors. I ASS U ME it will be an easy install.

Does anyone have them onboard and what are your thoughts?

Last edited:

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
I was in the same decision and finally got the Fell MOB+ because here in Italy it was easier to order it and I could not find enough bad reviews to let me choose the ACR over the Fell. I saw the Fell on some other boats and the owners were happy with it.
But it arrived delayed and just before I left Sardinia so I could not install it so no experience how well it works.
I downloaded the installation instructions to check if it is compatible with my F250 and it seems to be a simple task if engines have a mechanical killswitch. If you have not already done that you may check that for your Suzukis.
Chris

gbgrady208

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have had the Fell Marine 1st Mate system on two boats for a couple of years and have been very happy with them. I've had no issues with pairing and with the 1st Mate system there is no drilling as the unit installs in a dry area of the helm behind all the controls. Wiring into my Yamaha outbaords was easy - - pretty much plug and play as long as you order it with the correct engine adapter and the normal cutoff device still works if you want to use it or have reduncy. Their support was also excellent. My only comment would be to carry extra FOB batteries as they do tend to run down, but you can manage it pretty easily on the app by turning off the passenger fob's when not in use. Electronics are not my specialty, but I had no issues installing it. I do recognize the 1st Mate system is more expensive than the MOB+ system, but it was worth it to me to avoid drilling to install the system and you pick up some additional range and a locking feature for your boat.

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I bought the acr-olas when I had the old motors and thought like you one kill switch for both motors. Turns out it is one retainer clip but behind the helm was a very tight and complex unit with wires everywhere. Bottom line a dual engine kit was needed to make the installation, which I did not order or do. So it now sits on the bench. I have not looked at the Suzuki set up mainly because of all the trouble (small sample size) I see others having with their systems. Failure to start, cutting out, etc.. Seems like a great idea that just does not have the best function.

Seafarer_Bob

Reaction score
Outer Banks NC - Winter / Ocean City MD Summer
Model
Seafarer
I bought the Fell last year but haven't gotten around to installing it yet. Saw there's minimum distance requirements from other equipment so trying to decide where to put it, probably in the cabin to keep it protected and save real-estate at the helm.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I bought the Fell last year but haven't gotten around to installing it yet. Saw there's minimum distance requirements from other equipment so trying to decide where to put it, probably in the cabin to keep it protected and save real-estate at the helm.
Thats my reasonong for leaning towards ACR OLAS. The bulk of equipment is separate from the small button/indicator
The Fell has to be mounted on the dash but also where the unit and antenna fit.

I'll make a decision closer to April so I'm not another guy with one waiting to be installed...seems like a trend....:rolleyes:

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Not trying to be a pita here but that diagram shows only one ignition key. Do not the AP models have two ignition switches like my manual model. I believe that is where I started to run into trouble.

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
well thats what i get for going with roll up windows and no ac

• Haha
Reactions: SkunkBoat

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
“If we were in some kind of a catastrophic, grid down type of situation with no Internet [as occurred during Hurricane Katrina in 2005], a couple of AM stations can almost cover the entire country to get information out,” Toenniessen says.

Hmmm got some room in my radio box upgrade panel, maybe a radio is just the thing!
;)

Hiflyr

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
Thats my reasonong for leaning towards ACR OLAS. The bulk of equipment is separate from the small button/indicator
The Fell has to be mounted on the dash but also where the unit and antenna fit.

I'll make a decision closer to April so I'm not another guy with one waiting to be installed...seems like a trend....:rolleyes:
Fell told me that it could be mounted in the head enclosed space on my 257 Fisherman not necessarily in the dash.

Hiflyr

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
yah but that puts the button and indicators and buzzer in the head.
I don’t think I need a buzzer to know if I fell overboard on a 23’ boat. Once you turn it on you don’t need to look at the lights

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I don’t think I need a buzzer to know if I fell overboard on a 23’ boat. Once you turn it on you don’t need to look at the lights
hehehe, well if you aren't adding 3 crew and its only you the pilot...I guess..
You still won't be able to easily see that you are still connected without looking in the head.

I run offshore in the dark for hours. When I'm driving, I don't really have eyes on the crew. Motors and wind are loud and I doubt I would hear someone going overboard.
I figure if I'm adding this thing, I might as well get fobs for the crew. The motor does not shut down for crew. It alarms.

Actually, there was a price drop deal on Amazon. I got the ACR OLAS kit for $200. Amazon knows how to make you make a decision....;)

It came yesterday. The stainless steel button looks nice. Should fit right next to the key.

Screenshot 2024-03-05 at 9.35.29 PM.png

Beyond A Wake

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
I had a FELL system for twin 300 Yamahas on previous boat. Was very happy with it, easy install with dual kit etc. At one point it stopped working and easily enough bypassed it (leave access to back side of button). FELL rapidly replaced the unit and all was good.
On my Grady I have not been able to find an easy way to install the unit on triples with electronics starting steering etc..... Would like to have a system but afraid of messing with the integrated connections to the kill switch. All 3 engines are bundled up in factory integrated switch. So for now no good solution as the kill switch line is short and I am often alone on the boat.
Any suggestions??

H

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I had a FELL system for twin 300 Yamahas on previous boat. Was very happy with it, easy install with dual kit etc. At one point it stopped working and easily enough bypassed it (leave access to back side of button). FELL rapidly replaced the unit and all was good.
On my Grady I have not been able to find an easy way to install the unit on triples with electronics starting steering etc..... Would like to have a system but afraid of messing with the integrated connections to the kill switch. All 3 engines are bundled up in factory integrated switch. So for now no good solution as the kill switch line is short and I am often alone on the boat.
Any suggestions??

H
Idk what the Yamaha assembly looks like but

kill switches are pretty generic. If there’s only one kill switch, and you can get to the two wires connected to it , then it is as simple as that.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Last edited: