Female shore power receptacle (???!!) on Grady Canyon 306

Jeremy534

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Hi all. First post as new member... searched and couldn't find anything on the topic. Here goes...... our 2017 Grady 306 Canyon came with the shore power option, but the receptacles on the boat side are FEMALE. Every Grady I see comes with a male receptacle on the boat side so this was a surprise to me. It also makes finding adapters impossible since male to male is what's needed. Ultimately I'll likely end up modifying my power cord by putting a male connector on the end and just keep that cordset with the boat at all times just in case needed. But my question is..... is a female receptacle on the boat side normal for the 306 or is my setup perhaps different for some reason?

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Never heard of such a thing! Would actually be dangerous to have a energized male plug to maybe have to handle to plug in your boat. Check with Grady, does not seem an acceptable design. Highly recommend you change the boat end to be male. Surely someone had modified it. Shouldn’t be that expensive to change out the boat side as they are readily available as a direct replacement.

Reactions: SkunkBoat

seasick

Reaction score
Did you get the boat new? I suspect someone installed the wrong receptacle.

Last edited:

Jeremy534

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Thanks all. Bought the boat used, so perhaps done incorrectly aftermarket. Checking w/ Grady!

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Are you certain that it is a female? You are aware that the receptacle is recessed and the male prongs do not stick out visibly. Just checking!

Reactions: ocdansar

Bretts02

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Concur. If the boat truly is female and needs a male cable to plug in, you need to swap the part on the boat. Incredibly dangerous to have potentially energized male connection pins exposed on the end of the cable.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Probably easier to just replace the outlet. Mine had an issue last year and I picked up new one at West Marine and just swapped it out.