Few questions. '90 Seafarer - Thru-hull fittings.

artwhitting

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hello;

Thank you for your support.

I decided this winter would be a good time to tackle the plastic thru hull fittings. The inspection revealed cracking on the port-side deck drain. I also became aware that the previous owner(I have had her 3 years) jammed a small fitting in to the original fitting instead of fixing it correctly.

I have been looking at Perko thru hull fittings, but they all come with hose barbs. My deck fittings have PVC elbows attached. One of the deck drain hoses has as split and needs to be replaced. I guess the best thing to do is to pull everything inspect and replace.

1. Do I buy the fitting with the barb and cut it?
2. Any "gotchas" before I tackle this issue?

I have already discovered removing the passenger foot rest will help. I will use 5200 slow cure to allow more work time. I'm going with bronze, even though the chrome looks better. I have removed the hatch rings for significant more arm room.

Any and all tips, no matter how small are welcome and appreciated.
I am still amazed at some of the Grady design issues. Was bronze not available in 1990? I am at least very happy with the condition of all the thru hull fitting areas. Lotsa foam and very dry.

Port deck drain
portdeckdrain.jpg

Star deck drain
stardeckdrain.jpg

Star fish box drain
starboxdrain.jpg

Port fitting, notice the smaller fitting screwed into place
portoutdrain.jpg

Star same as the port
staroutdrain.jpg

I got the feeling this is going to suck, but knowing they are done = peace of mind.
saludos

Art

lime4x4

Reaction score
On my 86 offshore i have the sametime of fittings. A thru hull with the barb cut off and a 90 deg fitting screwed on. I'm currently replacing all mine as well but i went with stainless steel thru hulls. I believe this was done at the factory so they could get a tighter 90 deg's. I got 1 thru hull fitting that was a 90 and it's way too long. Ended up cutting right behind the threads and installing a 90 deg barb pvc onto it.

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I cut the barbs off the ones I need to use the 90 degree fitting on. I left a little bit of the barb so I didn't damage the threads making it harder the thread on the fitting. The fitting under the passenger foot well was by far the hardest for me. I accidently broke the fitting in the floor which was the same fitting as the ones going through the hull. I did not do the fitting on the opposite side since it looked like the pervious owner already did it and the passenger one was just a pain.

Andrew