Fin zinc

Father's Day

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Hello Everyone
I thought I would replace the fin Zinc on my Merc, I bought my old one with me when I went to purchase a new, and the guy asked me if I painted it. Then gave me this new one, I googled the part number and it did show a black one any thoughts.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I've never seen a painted one. There are two types of them magnesium for freshwater and zinc for salt. I've heard there is one that is usable for both - never used.
There usually are many more sacrificals in motors - yamaha uses a fat strap and there are internal engine ones as well. Prob want to ensure you get em all especially if it has been a while.

Merc likes the black look, maybe it is a coating that will eventually wear off?

Father's Day

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
I've never seen a painted one. There are two types of them magnesium for freshwater and zinc for salt. I've heard there is one that is usable for both - never used.
There usually are many more sacrificals in motors - yamaha uses a fat strap and there are internal engine ones as well. Prob want to ensure you get em all especially if it has been a while.

Merc likes the black look, maybe it is a coating that will eventually wear off?
[/QUOTE just didn't know if I should try to get the same one
It's definitely coated

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I've seen that black one a few times. Always wondered about it. Never noticed any corrosion issues to the surrounding metal so I never really thought more about it. I'm thinking the same as above - just some kind of initial coating.

Is the picture you posted of YOUR anode? It's totally fine - there is no reason to replace it. Put the new one on the shelf. Any corrosion issues on the lower unit?

FYI, these are called "anodes", not "zincs". Zn is just one type of formulation that they can be made out of.

The formulation that can be used in both fresh and salt (and sometimes is better than both Mg and Zn) is aluminum. Standard from Mercury is aluminum. There is a difference in quality - Merc is very good - as is Yamaha and most engine manufacturers version because it's made to their specs. Perfomance Metals makes about the best formulation out there, though.

What type of waters do you use your boat in? The most important thing is using a forumulation that works best in YOUR waters... whether it be Mg or Al... or Zn or Al.

Father's Day

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
I've seen that black one a few times. Always wondered about it. Never noticed any corrosion issues to the surrounding metal so I never really thought more about it. I'm thinking the same as above - just some kind of initial coating.

Is the picture you posted of YOUR anode? It's totally fine - there is no reason to replace it. Put the new one on the shelf. Any corrosion issues on the lower unit?

FYI, these are called "anodes", not "zincs". Zn is just one type of formulation that they can be made out of.

The formulation that can be used in both fresh and salt (and sometimes is better than both Mg and Zn) is aluminum. Standard from Mercury is aluminum. There is a difference in quality - Merc is very good - as is Yamaha and most engine manufacturers version because it's made to their specs. Perfomance Metals makes about the best formulation out there, though.

What type of waters do you use your boat in? The most important thing is using a forumulation that works best in YOUR waters... whether it be Mg or Al... or Zn or Al.

Thanks Denise I was thinking the same. I'm going to put the old one on and just hold on to the new one. I don't see anything wrong with it I was replacing the others and just took it off. Thanks for your input

seasick

Reaction score
I would use the new one. I wonder if the black color is some sort of oxidation caused by a chemical reaction with some cleaner or the like. My concern would be that if there is a coating, that might render the anode ineffective. I did a quick search for the part number and every new one was shinny. There was a black used one on Ebay.
The anodes on my mercs were originally aluminum .

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I would use the new one. I wonder if the black color is some sort of oxidation caused by a chemical reaction with some cleaner or the like. My concern would be that if there is a coating, that might render the anode ineffective. I did a quick search for the part number and every new one was shinny. There was a black used one on Ebay.
The anodes on my mercs were originally aluminum .
It wouldn't be a bad idea to take some sandpaper to the black stuff - on the off chance that it is some type of oxidation (or whatever) making it less effective. I don't see how that can hurt anything.

Father's Day

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
It wouldn't be a bad idea to take some sandpaper to the black stuff - on the off chance that it is some type of oxidation (or whatever) making it less effective. I don't see how that can hurt anything.
It's definitely a coating and I also saw new one that are black with that part number

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Zincs/anodes work by getting eaten up more easily than aluminum motors. That is their function, not to look good after several years. The reason the black one still looks as good as it does is because the coating is preventing it from doing its job. When you bottom paint, you don't paint anodes.

Fishtales

Reaction score
boat zincs.com can answer all questions and are a good source to get what you need.