Finally bought a Marlin

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I finally bought the boat of my dreams, it's a 2006 Grady Marlin in great shape. Less then forty hours on the Yamaha 250 FS, top quality Furuno electronics, AP 26 autopilot, most options I wanted, very clean etc. Previous owner just didn't have the time (or desire I guess) to use the boat. He was nice enough to throw everything in that was on the boat.

Yamaha mechanics did complete engine diagnostics and found nothing wrong. Motors are warranted untill April 2012. Compresssion, computer report, oil, lower units all checked out perfectly.

Surveyor had a tough time finding problems with boat (that is a good thing I guess). He did four areas of concern;
1. Anchor (roof) light bulb was loose, now works fine

2. Anchor light gets hit by four foot open array. The base must be moved back about six inches towards the stern.

3. DVD player drawer would not open at first. After it warmed up it worked fine and I could not make it skip a beat. Does anybody know if this is typical of the Toshiba unit that it requires a ten minute warm up time?

4. Windshiled wiper blades are dry rotted.

I suspected the surveyor would not find much on this boat. Still feel it was money well spent for the piece of mind. For me this is a major purchase as the boat is more than five times what I paid for my current 1992 Grady 24' Explorer.

The closing is scheduled for this coming week. Delivery to NJ will come in the next few weeks. Can't wait, counting the days!

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I'm very envious, but will simply send my major congratulations and best wishes.

May she always bring you home safely, with full fishboxes..

Brian

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Brain,
Thank you. Kind of scary having a 'closing' on a boat. Hope to have this one for a long time just like the last one.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That is great news Scott. I enjoyed our phone conversation and if there is anything I can help with, don't hesitate to ask. Is Crockers doing the riggers and launchers? I went by to look at the boat and it certainly is a beauty. I am getting ready to have new canvas made and decided to go with the ivory since it looked so good on that Marlin. Here are a few Marlin tips,

o get the Standard Horizon 5" external speaker. It mounts nicely in the overhead box and sounds way better then the PolyPlanar (a buddy has that one).

o Consider having Crockers do the "hatteras rig" on the outrigger setup. It eliminates the bungee and lets set all the tension you want on the halyard. Everyone loves it.

o I have 2 navy bathmats, one at the cabin door and the other smaller one on the step up to the bridge. They are cheap, washable, and help dry wet feet. Walmart is a good place to find them.

o Consider adding a center rigger if you plan much bluewater fishing. I used a 45 degree Lee with gold tips to match my outriggers. I added it myself for under $300. Besides adding to the trolling spread, it looks way cool.

Good luck and post pix! :D

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
megabytes said:
Consider having Crockers do the "hatteras rig" on the outrigger setup. It eliminates the bungee and lets set all the tension you want on the halyard. Everyone loves it

What is the hatteras rig?Do you have any pics?

Thanks

Tuna Man,Congrats on your new rig...Your gonna love it.

2005 300 Marlin w/F250's

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I need to take some as many have asked. It basically uses sailboat rigging and a jam cleat under the gunnel. When you deploy the riggers, you unjam a short, thick nylon cord, pull it as tight as want want your halyard, then pop in back in. The bungee is eliminated. The parts are also less expensive then the kits from Taco and other companies.

I believe the idea started on Hatteras charters. Crockers rigs all their boats that way unless someone doesn't want it. I'd never go back now that I have used them done this way. I like my halyards very right so the clip pops easily.

tuxedospike

Reaction score
300 Marlin

Congratulations....you will love that boat. Did you get the genset/AC option? I noticed you are from the cold country and that A/C-Heat pump is wonderful....even though I live and fish in Florida. Just checked it today. If you have those options there is a really good add-on that allows you to flush both the Genset and A/C with fresh water and not hold Saltwater in the plumbing...If your dealer does not know about this have him contact PlayTwo Marine (Grady Dealer in Edgewater, FL). Shhh....don't want him to hear but Megabytes does know his stuff...he is a real resource if you have questions.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the kind words.

The boat is fitted with air conditioning, companion seat, satellite radio, flat screen tv/dvd player,power steering, ivory curtains, deluxe II helm chair, flush mount electronics kit, helm cover, and folding cabin racks.

As far as electronics go the boat is fitted with a Furuno 4' open array with 10" V2 display, chartplotter and fishfinder. Also has a 'puck style' transducer that seemed to work well during the sea trial. Autoppilot is a AP26, Standard VHF (no speaker yet Mega...). I am a little skeptikal of transducer since I sometimes fish in waters as deep as 2000 feet. I guess time will tell.

Boat does not have a generator. For my needs this is sort of a good thing, reduced weight by about two hundred pounds, less to maintain, no diesel smell or soot, would only use it about three times a season, etc. For my needs, a Honda EU2000 is much more practical as it can easily be serviced and removed from the boat. Lastly as I eluded to on another post, if the boat had the diesel generator I probably would have been able to afford an 04 or an 05 instead of a 06 model. Again this is for my needs, probably not the norm.

Heyspike

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Congrats TunaMan, She sounds like a real Beauty!
The one I looked at in Coty's was fished hard and put away wet.......... Still looking.