Finally Got the Grady

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
After inking the deal on Jan 31st I finally took delivery of my Tournament 225 from Beaver Park on Friday. I have bought a lot of things in my life but I have never been treated better by any organization than Beaver Park treated me. Pat Grasso, sales manager, Bill Schaeffer, owner, and the entire staff of technicians spent from 8:30AM until 2:00 PM with me making sure everything went smoothly. It was as if they didn't have another customer in the world. And believe they did as they had three other boats going out that day. We sea trialed the boat on Lake Erie and went over every system, we rigged the trailer and shrink wrapped the boat for the tow home. Any issue was immediately addressed and dealt with. They even bought me lunch. It was hands down the best retail experience I have ever been involved with. They even threw in some hats and T shirts. When it was time to leave on the 7 1/2 hr drive back to Cumberland I didn't want it to end.
The trip back was uneventful and the boat towed beautifully. The only problem was one of the axles threw it's bearing cover/ grease cap somewhere along the way but I was able to replace it Saturday morning before launching the boat for the first time.
As for the boat, I was able to put 10 hours on it this weekend and it exceeded all my expectations. The ride is simply phenominal compared to my previous Boston Whalers and I am absolutely convinced I made the right choice.
As for the F225, I broke it in according to factory recommendations @ 2000 RPM the first hour, 3000 RPM the second and various RPMs the remaining 10 hours. It maxed out @ 6000 RPM @ 48 MPH w/ two people, full fuel tank, no water, normal personal gear. The Command Link said @ 4000 RPM trimmed out I was getting 3.7 MPG! What a great motor. It starts like a car and is as quiet as a church mouse!
Two minor issues though. Like some of the rest of you I got the "Water in the fuel" light @ about 9 hrs and then it quit only to reoccur @ approx 9.8 hrs and quit again. I really do think it's a sensor problem since I filled the boat up with fresh fuel Friday night at a Kroger gas station in Somerset, KY that sells lots of gas. I also added ring free and stabilizer. No change in the running of the engine when the light came on either time. I'll have it checked at the 10 hr service though.
One other frustrating issue was whomever installed my #2, port battery @ the factory got the nut on the negative post cross threaded on the stud and the connection was loose. I discovered it when the boat shut down while running on the #2 battery. It restarted so I continued only to have it happen again and that's when I checked the battery connections and found it. Unfortunately when I attempted to tighten it down the post snapped off. Therefore I now have a one battery boat and will have to address that issue tomorrow. I think all boat builders could locate their batteries in more accessible places, including GW!
Sorry to be so long winded but I can't say enough good things about Beaver Park as a a dealer and about how thrilled I am with my 225. It was definitely worth the wait to Get the Grady!

PMD 205

Reaction score
Congrats! I just got a 205 last October and love it but here lately I've been wishing I had gone with the 225 for the extra room and the full width transom. Also, the F200 on the 205 can be quite loud at higher rpms and I've been wondering if there is much difference in the noise level on the 225 since the engine is pushed back farther.

BTW, where are the batteries located on the 225? On my 205 they are located underneath the stern seats.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Chris...
So glad all went well..Wanted to tell you I just got my M-Y Wedges in the mail the other day. Have you used yours yet, or do you have them yet?
Was it rough on Erie during your sea trial?
Where will you get your sensor issue looked at? Do you have a marina down there that you trust, or will you go back to Beaver occasionally?

Keep us in-the-know on your boating as the season progresses. I'll hit Jamestown a time-ot-two this year, but that's a long way from Somerset by water..

Tashmoo

Reaction score
Glad to hear your buying experience was a good one. Even more happy to hear that the boat exceeded your expectations. Enjoy the boat and the season and by the way congratulations.

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
PMD 205 said:
Congrats! I just got a 205 last October and love it but here lately I've been wishing I had gone with the 225 for the extra room and the full width transom. Also, the F200 on the 205 can be quite loud at higher rpms and I've been wondering if there is much difference in the noise level on the 225 since the engine is pushed back farther.

BTW, where are the batteries located on the 225? On my 205 they are located underneath the stern seats.
The batteries are located in the transom behind a drop down panel under the stern seat. A bit of a pain to get to and remove. It's a very tight space with noot much room to maneuver

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
magicalbill said:
Chris...
So glad all went well..Wanted to tell you I just got my M-Y Wedges in the mail the other day. Have you used yours yet, or do you have them yet?
Was it rough on Erie during your sea trial?
Where will you get your sensor issue looked at? Do you have a marina down there that you trust, or will you go back to Beaver occasionally?

Keep us in-the-know on your boating as the season progresses. I'll hit Jamestown a time-ot-two this year, but that's a long way from Somerset by water..
I used the wedge all the way home from Lorain and all weekend at the lake. It worked great! I put it on the port trim shaft because there is a zerk fitting on the starboard side.
Lake Erie was pretty calm for Lake Erie on Friday for the sea trial ao we didn't need to stay out long.
My local Yamaha dealer is Cumberland Sea Ray in Bronston. I have spoken with them and they seem nice but will have to see how competent they are. I can always tow it back to Louisville if I have to.
Jamestown is about 21 miles from where I am by water. We went down there twice this weekend. It takes about 30 minutes or so. It's a nice ride.
I'll keep you all posted on how things go.

tibeachguy

Reaction score
Congragulations on your new boat! Glad everything went well.

Just wanted to put in my 2 cents on the My-Wedge. I ordered one after your post and used it for the first time this weekend. I thought it was great! Before your post I was looking for some kind of Transom Saver. Glad I learned about the Wedge first. Such a simply idea that works! Wished I had thought of it first. Everyone that tows should have one. For those concerned that it would not position the engine up high enough, relax. It positions it just right. I wouldn't want it any higher. And I'm sure one does the job just fine, but I am going to order another one for the second piston on my Mercury. I just think it will help give it even better support. While I am at it, I think I'll order those centering clips for the steering.

Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you do use two wedges just make sure there are no zerk fittings on either side. If there are you don't want to use a wedge on that side. On my Yamaha F250 there is a zerk fitting on the starboard engine bracket so I use the wedge on the port trim ram.
I found the centering clips to be unnecessary. I towed the boat home over 400 miles and it stayed centered the whole time using just one wedge.

tibeachguy

Reaction score
My-Wedge / Centering Clips

Good point on the centering clips. You are right, with the wedges I don't see how the engine can turn.

I am assuming zerk fitting = grease fittin'. That is what we call them down here. And no, the Merc doesn't have a grease fittin' on either side. Anyway, I'm sure one will do the job just fine but I just kinda want two.

Dogwood

Reaction score
Water in Fuel sensor....

as a follow-up to my previous post; as you may recall I took delivery of my 225 3 weeks ago and had the identical sensor problem on my F250. The tech replaced it with a new one and it has the same issue----wonderful! Called the tech at the dealer and he called Yamaha and they said a new design/sensor is in the works but not yet available. In the meantime you can keep switching out sensors and hope you get lucky or basically ignore it until the new design is available. As it is a false alarm no harm will come to the engine. A true alarm is supposed to be accompanied by an audible alarm when in neutral. Hope this helps and let me know if you get any information that conflicts with mine. Aside from that I love the motor as it is so smooth and quiet, even compared to the 150 on the 205 that I sea trialed last year. Enjoy your new rig!

Dogwood

viperdrum

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Glad you finally got the 225. I know you have been anticipating it. I have now had mine a few months and have nearly 30 hrs on it.

I got the sensor problem and have about 10 hrs on the new sensor w/o recurrence. If it gets too bad just disconnect the damn thing. People got along for many yrs w/o all this crap.

The 225 is a wonderful party/fishing/family boat. I would have a 275 but my boathouse would not handle it. I had my dealer hook up an IPOD adaptor and the kids love it.

Have fun and be safe.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Re: My-Wedge / Centering Clips

tibeachguy said:
Good point on the centering clips. You are right, with the wedges I don't see how the engine can turn.

I am assuming zerk fitting = grease fittin'. That is what we call them down here. And no, the Merc doesn't have a grease fittin' on either side. Anyway, I'm sure one will do the job just fine but I just kinda want two.

The MYWEDGE does not interfere with turning the motor, it will turn either way regardless if it's in position or not. It supports the tilt bracket.

The motor(s) should not turn when trailering unless you have a leaky check-valve in the hydraulic steering, or air in the lines. Ocasionally mine will flop over, but it's intermittant, seems more to do with temperature variations than anything else. Or maybe a bubble gets in there. If it lays over I just leave it 'till I get to my destination.

You only need one per engine.

CaptChris - congrats on the new boat!

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
CONGRATS CAPT. CHRIS!

I'm delighted for you! BTW - I just finished a post on the "water in fuel" warning. My dealer is adamant that it is, in fact, a sensor issue and Yamaha does not yet have a fix. They are disconnecting them until the fix arrives.

We have been TOTALLY thrilled with out boat and our dealer experience also. Very similar to your description although maybe not as lengthy.

I have three kids (and a lovely gracious wife who let me get away with this) and we took another family out for a dinner cruise with their two kids - it was easy and comfortable and just a breeze.

You guys have a GREAT summer and keep the posts coming!

leek

Reaction score
New 225 update

I am now about three weeks in to my initial experience with Grady White Tournament 225. Great dealer experience ( I am still running on his fuel!) Absolutely no issues with the boat period. No sensor issue (although with 14 hours on it I have only cracked it open long enough to determine that it can make 6000 rpm a few times). Very good riding boat, high quality fit and finish. Very good experience so far.
The F250 has been flawless. Coming from two stroke carburetted Merc (very powerful and tough engine) I am amazed how quiet and easy to start the Yamaha engines are.

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Capt Chris!

So we rafted up today with 3 other boats at a beach - stern to the beach, and I just wanted to mention what a superior boat the Tourney 225 is for a family....

Kids climbing EASILY to and from the swim platform... shade under the bimini (it was 94 degrees) ... when our friends showed up I almost fainted. They had TONS of stuff with them. The 225 had storage for it all, and I thought it was already loaded with OUR stuff!

IF ONLY THE YAMI WAS LOUDER SO I DIDN'T HAVE TO HEAR MY KIDS!!!!

Basically I wanted to say, 4 adults and 5 kids are a piece of CAKE on this boat.

Happy summer to ALL....

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Leek, what's the break in procedure for that 4 stroke?

Does Yamaha want it at WOT more often?

leek

Reaction score
Break in

No WOT throtttle for first couple hours and then continue to vary speed with WOT throttle being possible increasingly over the first 10 hours.
Mostly I just ran the boat where I felt it was comfortable which varies the speed naturally depending on wave conditions. Out today for 4-5 hours on Lake Washington, very nice afternoon. The boat seems to like to cruise around 30 mph or 4000 rpm. Cruised from the locks to Lake Washington, down to Renton, up to Bellevue past Gate's house to 520 and back to Locks. Fair amount of traffic out, sailboats, motor cruisers, sea planes etc.
Going in for first check up tomorrow. They have kept my trailer for 3 weeks and are meeting me at the ramp and will take it from there. I am still running on their gas 20 hours in or so. Jacobsen's did a great customer service job.