Finally got the last major trailer fix

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
So, I have replaced almost everything on my trailer. I saw no need to do the springs, they worked fine, no separation, rusted.. but solid. So...

5 months ago I ordered the front axle. The trailer has a 2.5" drop axle. I would like to raise it with a straight axle to get it off the fenders, but that adds in questions of a lot of other possible changes so, easier to leave it as it was. Last week, I ordered the 2nd new axle. The front one was literally cracked where the 2.5" drop met the main axle beam, so it needed to be done right away.

Lo and behold, the 5 month wait meant there was bound to be a problem, and so there was. The trailer place gave me the wrong axle. Now, they are about 3.5 hours away, with good traffic, so my Aunt went to get the axle, and I drove to my Aunt's. They are retired so, they get to go on a "road trip".. heh. We did not notice till I got it home and went, "huh..."

They put idler brackets on the axle and I have brakes on both axles. So, what to do.....

It was going to cost the trailer place about $550 to ship that back to them and ship me a new one, and they were looking at 1-2 weeks just to get the right brackets in, at least that was their story...

So, I said, "let's make this good for both of us"

I took the day off, drove the old axle to them, picked up the new axle (they found parts the very next day).. and for that, they gave me all the parts to re-wire and replace every electrical line and light on the trailer.

So, I can replace that and use the working lights and wires for repairs to mine or someone else's trailer. (I had a tail light error and the last owner had removed/clipped the side running lights).

Only things not new on the trailer now are the springs and the jack and winch.

I plan to replace the winch and the jack eventually. I am debating one of those quick-relase latch systems that will help keep the boat on the trailer, vs the winch that always seems to slip. Will see, still researching them.

Anyway, plan to get the boat on Lake Buchanan this weekend. Was going to the coast but.. well.. hurricanes and all..

R