Finally learned why people don't like the 228 swim platform

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Went out of Santa Cruz today, 9 mile run to a reef that holds rockfish and lings. Windy said 5@11, seemed fine but was not. It was more like 5@5, really rough ride out, had the tabs all the way down, didn't help. It's been a long time since I've had a ride that bad.

Up hill on the way out, down hill on the way back. And that way back was where I didn't like the swim platform. Those waves were moving about the same speed as I was, maybe faster, and they pushed me around. Leaned me way over.

I was fine, the boat was fine, but it was an uncomfortable ride home. 226 people, I salute you if your boat doesn't get pushed around.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
As I've said before, in a bad sea I'd much rather be in a 226 vs a 228.

I hate it when a hull doesn't feel locked in and tracking straight.

But since I've gotten old and don't go out except in good sea conditions, I wish I had a 228.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
As I've said before, in a bad sea I'd much rather be in a 226 vs a 228.

I hate it when a hull doesn't feel locked in and tracking straight.

But since I've gotten old and don't go out except in good sea conditions, I wish I had a 228.
I get both of your points. I haven't been in a 226 but I can imagine that the swim platform makes the 228 feel like a longer boat. For me, I love the enclosed transom, just feels safer.

I do love my 228, in a good sea, she is a nice boat.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The older 228 Seafarer's had the swim platform as an option, of which I'm assuming one could remove the swim platform if they wanted to?

mjm1957

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have a 99 228 and it has a half swim platform on the port side. Comes in pretty handy when its 95 out and the grand kids want to swim and cool off.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

blynch

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Wouldn't this issue be somewhat improved if the platform were designed (or modified) with "vents" for the water to pass through? I'm envisioning more of like a grid-looking design as opposed to a big flat sheet. I feel like you see this on big inboard boats with swim platforms sometimes.

Obviously a different product but this sort of thing

Beyond A Wake

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
Bigger full width swim platforms usually have blow out vents. They are small compared to total sq yardage !! Of platform though but it helps when lowering a hydraulic one into the water.

Nose up in following waters and eyes on speed vs water following.

H

Reactions: Uncle Joe

billbass

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Why did you have both tabs down?

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Following sea, no tabs for me!

In a big following sea Keep the bow high or it will bow steer, most Grady's will do it.

The older 228s with half swim platforms are ladder style, so no lift there.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It's admittedly pretty rare that I do use my trim tabs because the waters around here are usually pretty protected, though I should probably make a habit of using them a bit more. I do agree with doug228 though, in that with a following sea I'll usually raise the bow up as high as I can and then leave it that way without hardly any adjustments of the trim tabs. Conversely, in a head sea I usually put the bow down a bit and use the throttle accordingly, also with little to no trim tab adjustments.

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I use my tabs all the time, balance the boat (always have an odd number of people) and keep the nose down. I try not to use the leg to drop the nose unless i really need too. Today we had a odd wind and current so i used the tabs to level off.

i wish i had bigger tabs like lucky does.

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
So my local fishing crew pried out of me that I had the tabs down. Apparently that is a no-no so that might have been part of my problem.
Yes Lucky.....get her nose up in a following sea so you don't bow steer and work the throttle to try to keep her from surfing.

rocketguy88

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
So my local fishing crew pried out of me that I had the tabs down. Apparently that is a no-no so that might have been part of my problem.
5@5 does not sound like fun!!!! Unless needed to level the boat, put the trim tabs all the way up when in following seas.