Finally on the Loop. Pictures.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
There are already dozens of cruising guides and websites for the Great Loop. Did you find any of them particularly helpful?

They are a good starting point for me. I believe I’ve familiarized myself with the most common guides, Waterway Guide, for example, but they are geared mostly to the stay-aboard, larger boat cruiser.

Especially when I was in my 25’ Voyager, I would opt for a ten-room, mom-and-pop motel with a dock out back over any of the commercial marinas more commonly found in the guides. My Journey had no electric and water hookups and I found I got more into the local flavor at the little places.

That said, Georgetown Landing Marina in South Carolina may have to rank as my favorite marina so far. A storm snapped the aluminum legs of my Bimini top. The owner brought his tools and spent two hours with me fabricating a repair. I repeated that section, in part, so I could stay at that marina again.

Also, some of the River- specific guides have been very helpful.

cbartle60

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Agree with Legend...enjoying your thread wahoo. I still have the floor panels up on my boat and am getting ready to replace the fuel tank. Thanks for all your posts and wishing you safe travels (and warmer weather).

Reactions: wahoo33417

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
So the next leg is St Marks to Hudson?

Maybe not, for a couple of reasons. Not sure there will be a period of more predictably calm seas to make it worth hauling the boat to the Big Bend area before I spend much more money hauling the boat to the Great Lakes.

Also, my dad did the Hudson to home leg with me years ago, covering Sarasota and Venice. It would be nice if I can save the Big Bend to Hudson and beyond as the last leg and have my dad join me. He is getting up there in age so that might be hoping for a lot, but I’m betting he'll do it if he is at all able. Since I’m limited to calm seas, he might be tougher than I am!

Last edited:

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Magical. It’s just a poor picture. He did have the flags on his truck and on the stern of the boat. And he had the Wide Load banner, albeit it was placed between the transom and the outboards. We did go through two weigh stations and it passed.

What didn’t pass is he didn’t have his blanket overwide permit with him. His wife, who does his books, took it out of his truck! The station attendant could see on his computer that he had the permit. But no matter. A $250 fine and we were back on the road.

Now, for an embarrassing question. On the last day this screw fell from around my right leg area at the helm and landed near my right foot. It’s a hefty screw, I thought, can’t be too hard to find where it came from. Nope. Haven’t found it yet!

View attachment 9683
So, any guesses? Looks to like it has to be a counter-sunk aluminum brace. Sure wish I could find one.

Well my wife solved this one. The screw came from the new Pompanette chair. And several others were loose as well. In return for her find, I'm to recognize 'Girl Power' in my post!

Also, flushed Barnacle Buster several times into warmed up engines. Preliminary runs makes it seem like that flush may have taken care of engine temperature creep. Need longer run to be sure. Still, will get water impeller changed at next service and will ask that they check for any scouring of metal parts.